Olympus "Digital" Lenses -- Are they worth it?

Vautrin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.withoutamapphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey,

So about a month ago I bought an Olympus EVOLT 510 @ the local photo store.

Really the only reason I got the olympus over any other camera was because the factory rep was there that day and making crazy deals.

Anyways, the rep told me I should never ever buy lenses except from Olympus because while Film can be exposed from any angle, CCD sensors in digital camera should only be exposed to photons at a 90 degree angle, and he assured me the olympus lenses would not allow any stray photons at 91 degrees or something.

I bought the camera because it was a really good deal, but is there any truth to this? Or is it all sales pitch?

-Dan

"Sir, I've found the problem with your car. The laughenshaft has come off the giggle-rod, and the your water pump's a quart low. It'll cost about $400."

Okay, yes I'm being facetious - that's pure malarkey intended only to get you to buy more product. It is true that often the name-brand lenses are better than third party (eg the Nikon lens is better than it's Sigma/Tokina/Tamron equivalent) but not always. Wait until you know the camera, decide what sort of photography you do most of, and then start researching lenses. Don't be stuck on one particular brand.

Obviously, I'm new, see over there <-----, and a new 510 owner as well. FWIW, I was reading an interview with the head of Olympus Imaging’s SLR division, Ogawa Haruo regarding the announcement of Olympus' M4/3 system.

He doesn't answer your question directly, but brings it up.

"&#9632; No Problems with Telecentricity
DCW: The mount diameter has become smaller, but will that cause any problems with telecentricity?
OGAWA: The original 4/3 standard used a very large mount diameter, so reducing it by 6mm will not cause any problems. The concept of introducing light rays at a perpendicular angle to the sensor will carry on into the M4/3 system."

"Sir, I've found the problem with your car. The laughenshaft has come off the giggle-rod, and the your water pump's a quart low. It'll cost about $400."

Okay, yes I'm being facetious - that's pure malarkey intended only to get you to buy more product. It is true that often the name-brand lenses are better than third party (eg the Nikon lens is better than it's Sigma/Tokina/Tamron equivalent) but not always. Wait until you know the camera, decide what sort of photography you do most of, and then start researching lenses. Don't be stuck on one particular brand.

True, ive seen a tamron lens that is sharper than a canon L lens... ;) at same focal length and aperture and same body and ISO

To me, it does sound like the classic marketing rubbish. I'll admit, home-brand lenses will often (but not always) give you better quality than third-party, but sometimes it's just worth getting a Sigma/Tamron/Tokina lens just for the money it saves you. Also, tons of lenses nowadays are being designed for the 4/3rds system by third parties, so you shouldn't be worried.

while in principle it is correct, that light falling onto a sensor at a very shallow angle to the sensor surface causes problems, this is a problem all lenses have at the edge of the frame I think.

The e510 is a MOS sensor not CCD...

Taken from the Olympus site:
"The lens features high resolving power, to get the most out of the imaging element. Specially designed for digital applications, it allows light to strike the image sensor at a near-perpendicular angle, minimizing degradation and light loss, even in the image periphery or when using a wide-angle lens. In addition to supporting high-speed, accurate focusing, manual focus has an extremely natural feel, and both zooming and focusing are simple and intuitive. "

Also, tons of lenses nowadays are being designed for the 4/3rds system by third parties, so you shouldn't be worried.

Yeah, as of just a few months ago there are:

• 133 Lenses for Canon
  • 117 Lenses for Nikon
  • 77 Lenses for Sony
  • 76 Lenses For Pentax
  • 33 Lenses for Olympus/Panasonic
Even 33 is allot to choose from! :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back