Olympus E3 or Nikon 90?

The E3 is a very nice camera indeed. But I will back up the other posters that your issues are user error, either you haven't mastered your camera and settings, or you need to take a look at the basics of photography again for aperture, shutter, and ISO settings.

Anyway if you can give a bit more info other than "some setting was wrong" I can have a play with the e-420 tomorrow.

Okay I went and play with the camera in order to see if I can see a pattern of when it don't fire. I found it is not firing when the camera is set to S-AF and trying to shoot a still object which is what S-AF supposed to be used for? What I'm doing wrong?

Oh btw I did missed many shots at my husband gradutation because of low light I guess. And all the ones that it did fire were dark. At that point I really didn't know about the camera. Later I took an online course and so now I know more.

Last edited:
I discovered something else. It does fire with S-AF if I use the FL-36 flash unit so I guess it is a light issue when it does not fire.

This flash sucks as it takes so long to charge and I see now it takes time after I take a single shot to charge again to take the next pic.

I really appreciate the replies, I'm learning

I discovered something else. It does fire with S-AF if I use the FL-36 flash unit so I guess it is a light issue when it does not fire.

This flash sucks as it takes so long to charge and I see now it takes time after I take a single shot to charge again to take the next pic.

I really appreciate the replies, I'm learning

So thinking about this I'm gonna need a new lense and a better flash to keep this camera going. That's about $700. I wonder if it would be better to invest in a camera with a better SENSOR than in extra gadgets for this camera.

A better camera is always a better camera. But you will find another better camera next year.

Let's take a look at this

Good image(light) ---> crappy lens ---> crappy image ---> Image recorded by Camera A (Camera cost $5000)
Good image(light) ---> good lens ---> Good image ---> Image recorded by Camera B (Camera cost $400)

Which camera do you think can produce a better result?

So if you are going after image quality, I will say get a better lens(es) or flash first instead of better camera.

If you just do not like your current camera and want to upgrade to a better camera, of course go with the camera. It is a personal choice.

A better camera is always a better camera. But you will find another better camera next year.

Let's take a look at this

Good image(light) ---> crappy lens ---> crappy image ---> Image recorded by Camera A (Camera cost $5000)
Good image(light) ---> good lens ---> Good image ---> Image recorded by Camera B (Camera cost $400)

Which camera do you think can produce a better result?

So if you are going after image quality, I will say get a better lens(es) or flash first instead of better camera.

If you just do not like your current camera and want to upgrade to a better camera, of course go with the camera. It is a personal choice.

But it will not make you any better or take better images because you don't seem to know the basic of exposure yet. i would keep the camera and lens and practise practise don't try shooting in low light yet learn the basics because shooting in low light is for advanced shooters

When looking at buying your first camera, take a look at the lenses that are available. Lens technology rarely ever changes, the camera bodies however, are always evolving. Take a look at 1) the cost of glass and 2) the quality. Nikon and Canon have amazing glass.

But it will not make you any better or take better images because you don't seem to know the basic of exposure yet.

you don't mean me right? Just wondering :)

But it will not make you any better or take better images because you don't seem to know the basic of exposure yet.

you don't mean me right? Just wondering :)

No not you :lmao:

Good. I was afraid that my images that shown in the forum was really bad. (please tell me if that is the case)

I do agree with you so let me change it a little bit.

Good photographer ---> Good image(light) ---> crappy lens ---> crappy image ---> Image recorded by Camera A (Camera cost $5000)
Good photographer ---> Good image(light) ---> good lens ---> Good image ---> Image recorded by Camera B (Camera cost $400)

Mmmmmm..it's difficult decision..I guess I will stick with the e-420 for a while but I will upgrade for sure to a Nikon in the future.

I know photographing with low light is for advanced photographers but I'm mostly shooting indoors which is low light. And now with winter weather you bet is even more indoor photography. :)

For flash help. The time the flash takes to charge is directly proportional to the amount of power depleated from the shot. So if you're worried that it takes 6 seconds to recharge, then double the ISO on the camera. You get slightly more noise (which isn't relevant when going from say ISO100 to ISO200), and you half your recharge time.

I can't comment on the flash itself because my gf has the FL-50r other then to say the FL-50r is much bigger (infact bigger than the Nikon SB-800) and looks so very retarded on the small e-420 :lmao:

Most reactions

Back