What's new

OMG another camera comparo thread!!! D5100 or T3i?

Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
3,719
Reaction score
534
Location
Here N There
Not for me, but a friend who's getting his first kid soon!

I was talking to him on the phone and he mentioned that he's looking into getting a DSLR because he's not gonna want to miss the moments. He thought about video capability and I told him that a DSLR video and Video Cam Corder are two very different things, used differently as well. He just think that it's nice to have both in one device.

So there's the primary need. I doubt he's going to take it too far, like invest in different lens and such. Since he lives in pretty country side with pretty unicorns and fairies, he probably would like a wide angle for landscape, or possibly a macro in the future for tinker bells. But these are not his primary needs now.

So I immediately thought about the D5100 vs T3i. Both have similar specs. T3i wins in pixel count, where D5100 wins a bit in frame rate and AF zones. Honestly, I don't even think these matter to him too much.

In terms of video, which is better? I believe both have auto focus in video mode? Am I right? I will tell him that this is still in the early stage of the tech development so don't expect too much out of it.

The D5100 doesn't have autofocus motor in it, so he's stuck with a limited range of lens for now. I was going to recommend him the new F1.8 50mm for now(mommy+baby) and Tokina 11-16 for the future. I don't know what to recommend for Canon lens though.

Therefore, for a new dad who isn't bounded by the brand war, which of these two will you recommend? Or do you think the D3100 will be a better fit? BTW what will be the counterpart to the D3100?
 
You don't want my input, but kudos to your friend for realizing he'll need something more than disposables and a point and shoot for his kid's childhood. If only my mom was as insightful..
 
i would say number 1 thing is ergonomics. no matter how good the camera is on paper, if you cant physically hold it and use it, its pointless to consider it. its why i dont look at the rebel series. i have larger hands and they dont fit me confortably
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom