OMG its driving me nuts pleeeeeeaaase help

Vicelord John

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took some shots today on my D90 in raw and the camera said they were whatever resolution like 4xxx x 3xxx or something.... seemed normal.

When I upload them on my computer, they suddenly become 160x120.

Why is this happening?

Dimensions: 160x120
Device Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Device model: NIKON D90
Color space: RGB
Focal length: 50
F number: 5.6
Alpha channel: no
Red eye: no
Exposure time: 1/60

Here is a picture of it in the camera:
photo-9.jpg

Here is a picture of my desktop:

photo-1-2.jpg

Last edited:
Is there an import setting that changes the resolution, or file size?
How did you import them?

I went into the card through my desktop and dragged the .NEF onto my desktop and it copied it there.

i dont know what the 160x120 means but i'd think you should look at the MP count. , 4288 * 2848 = 12,212,224... or 12.2 MP so that pretty much checks out. the fact that it is 11.4 after import seems a bit odd but i've never tried importing that way before. try importing through lightroom. if you dont have it the LR3 is available in beta for free through April 30 here Adobe Labs - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3

try that and see what happens.

Huge shot in the dark here, but you aren't capturing the files in RAW and like small jpeg are you? the camera has that capability...
Like I said, thats just what first came to my mind.

Aperture opens them as 160 x 120 too.

Downloaded Capture NX2 and hmmmmmmmm WORKS JUST LIKE MAGIC!

**** you apple. I spent $215 on this piece of crap. I make 30K a year BEFORE taxes.... $215 is A LOT of money to just throw away.

Aperture imports them that way? I have a Canon and shoot in RAW, aperture takes the photos in perfectly fine. Apple did put out some kind of DSLR update recently, like last week. Might want to check that out.

Is there a setting somewhere that reduces them on import?
Also very odd for that to happen on drag and drop.

I had a similar issue, but can't remember the specifics because it was like 8 months ago. But it was a settings thing that fixed it.

aperture is as updated as it can be, as is snow leopard.

well it wasnt an aperture update, it was a dslr camera support update. I have a friend with a d90, i can ask him about it and see if he has the same issue...although i'm doubtful. i dont see why aperture would ever not import raw images properly.

yeah, I don't see why aperture wouldn't either, since they advertise it and all... It's really weird that both my OS and Aperture see 10mb 160 x 120 pixel files, but Capture NX2 sees it exactly the way it should.

Are you importing them with Aperture or dragging them to your desktop then importing... there could be so many reasons for this - are you running a Mac or PC? Does you computer support native NEF... etc

I use a PC - drag the files from a card reader to my desktop - then move them to their final home - then import from that location to lightroom. Thou windows does not seem to always like previewing NEF images I Have not seen many issues.. that said i am not a fan of how Apple supports new camera models in Aperature with a sever lag time in updates...

Thou I know many that love it and use it all the time..

I tried dragging to desktop then to aperture, I tried importing in aperture, and I tried tethering in aperture... none of that worked. I have the latest updated version of Apple's latest OS, Snow Leopard. Apple's website says D90 is supported. GAH!

I won't even get started about how much aperture sucks to try and resize my photos...

Most reactions

Back