On camera movable flash

D-50

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Why hasnt any camera manufacturer developed an on-camera pop up flash thatcan be angled like an external flash such as an SB600 or SB800. It doesn;t seem to be that difficult of a design issue and would allow much more versatility when you dont feel like attaching an external flash?

#1. Because then it would be harder to sell their accessory flashes.

Also, most built-in flashes are not very powerful. They would quickly run out of range when bouncing off of higher ceilings.

What don't they make them more powerful? See #1.

#1. Because then it would be harder to sell their accessory flashes.

Also, most built-in flashes are not very powerful. They would quickly run out of range when bouncing off of higher ceilings.

What don't they make them more powerful? See #1.

They wouldn't be practical for me. Because of wall colors and distances and ceiling heights, I haven't had too much success with a bounce. Instead, I use a Stroboframe bracket to move the head away from the lens axis. A built-in flash wouldn't help me.

Good point.

I like to use a Stroboframe bracket as well. I will bounce when I can, but I don't like being reliant on finding a good bounce surface.

Good point.

I like to use a Stroboframe bracket as well. I will bounce when I can, but I don't like being reliant on finding a good bounce surface.

Agreed. I've had some really good shots that would have been even better with a bounce.

If you want an external flash buy one. I think the whole mechanics of a flash like that would change the design of a DSlr completely and just add unnecsary weight. Besides as Mike said the pop-up is just not powerful enough to start bouncing with. just remember it was only recently that pop-up flashes came about. Before the Rebel started with it's pop-up if you wanted a flash on an SLR you bought one. But I guess that was when not everyone owned an SLR.

I currently use botha sb800 and sb600 and love them. My original psot was more of just a "how come" question. But like I said it would be a nice option for when your just hanging around with friends and your camera and dont feel like breaking out your external flash. For me using my built in flash is not an option due to its terribile performance, I only use it as a commander. With all the new gizmos and gadgets they are adding to DLSR's (live view, sensor cleaners, larger viewfinders, ets) they might as well add this to the list of bells and whistles that really do nothing of importance aside from making life a little bit easier.

How about because even the SB-800 can on occasion have difficulty power wise when bouncing light. Imagine how well an on camera flash can do with less than 1/4 of the power...

I currently use botha sb800 and sb600 and love them. My original psot was more of just a "how come" question. But like I said it would be a nice option for when your just hanging around with friends and your camera and dont feel like breaking out your external flash. For me using my built in flash is not an option due to its terribile performance, I only use it as a commander. With all the new gizmos and gadgets they are adding to DLSR's (live view, sensor cleaners, larger viewfinders, ets) they might as well add this to the list of bells and whistles that really do nothing of importance aside from making life a little bit easier.

the difference between All of the bells and whistles you named and a moveable flash is none of the items you name add any size or bulk nor do they in any way alter the general design of the body. While the infrastructure to do something like this would be significant probably negating any size advantage you would get not using an accesory flash. Besides I think the pop-up should be removed not expanded upon.

Besides I think the pop-up should be removed not expanded upon.
With the exception of being able to use it to trigger your off camera IR flashes for free.

Not trying to beat a dead horse here but it would not add any size to the actual camera just add rotating brackets on either side of the actual flash on the pop up then you could rotate it up to bounce it off the ceiling. The built in clearly has enough power to bounce if you look at the like Mike posted.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back