On Dignity ...

This isn't about dignity as much as being a decent human. If someone was passed out and looking bad then taking a photograph of the person wouldn't be on my list of priorities, helping them would. (This comes into the media photographers are "vultures" bit). After all the vast majority of us are out to take nice interesting of funny photos, not photograph people at their most vulnerable like paparazzi.
Well paparazzis are pretty much vultures. They are totally different animals from the rest of us, they stake out people. I think for most of it is is the random moments we capture. Some may consider that a vulture kind of thing but, it is what it is.

I don't think there is a single answer for every situation, but there is a sense that more than anything else, will let you know when it is ok and when it is not... common sense. ;)

This would be one area Norway is a bit different. Here, you're not allowed to publish a photo (where a person is the main focus, and this person can be identified,) unless you the his/her approval.

One of the few exceptions would be if the photo would be "necessary knowledge for the public". So if you shot a policeman buying sex from a prositute, as it's illegal to buy sex (, but it's legal to sell sex), you could publish the photo. But you may not publish a photo of a person peeing in an alley.

Most reactions

Back