On Responding To Photoshop Usage

JSPhotographyLLC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Little background for context. I take a lot of Landscape photos that I use Photoshop to turn into Digital Art. This is how I show my creativity, and alter something in reality to become something more. I usually try to push towards an Oil Painting, but sometimes I take it a bit further. Just depends on the image and my mood. I showcase traditional Photography as well, but, when I go traditional I keep my edit as natural as I possible can. But I look for opportunities to blow traditional out of the water.

Ok so here is my problem and the reason I am here. The #1 question I get at the Gallery is, "Is this Photoshopped?" Honestly I think its pretty hard to look at my Art and think that it might not be Photoshopped. But that is not the point. It is the way they ask the question, almost with a tone of disdain, condescension, or worse condemnation. For obvious reasons I try to reply as politely as I can and at the same time try and educate a little bit. I have been told not to respond at all and just walk away because obviously they aren't buying, probably aren't even true patrons of art. But to me, regardless of whether any of that is true, it is just rude, and reflects poorly on me.

So my biggest question is, how do I respond? How do I say "yes", while at the same time making them realize that using Photoshop is not wrong? That I am not trying to trick them or sell them something fake (how can it be fake when its hanging on the wall?) I have also been told that when I get that question I should first ask a question before responding. But I can't seem to come up with anything better than "whats your problem with Photoshop?"

"I use various software applications to digitally enhance certain aspects of my work to ensure the highest quality aesthetic."

Honestly, I would just say that there are several tools I use to polish and complete my art pieces. Just like a chef uses multiple ingredients.

I wonder if your customers are asking if what you are selling is genuine, treaditional "photographs", OR if you are selling composited images that are quite literally "faked" images. Mayeb that is what the people are wanting to know. And they just do not have the familiarity with software, or how it works, to be able to frame the question in the so-called proper manner.

The fact that people are asking the question might be a clue that there is some type of unmet customer need that your current sales materials or information is not providing. For example, you mentioned "oil painting". Maybe your work looks so much like oil paintings that people are genuinely confused?

The fact that people are asking "Is this Photoshopped?" and asking it with an air of near-disdain might hold some kind of valuable sales information for you. I'm sure you can understand the possible implications of the response you supply to people who ask that question. SOme people, and some editors, want "real" nature photos, and will not accept images that show the hand of man in them (ie, cages, signs, roadways, telephone wires, jet con trails, man-made trails, fences, etc). SOme people, and some publications WILL NOT ACCEPT fakery in images; no ducks in Central Park are accepted; no deer seen by Interstate 5 guardrail accepted, and so on.

If you've ever worked in sales, you know that customer complaints and objections represent a HUGE opportunity for the salesman who undertakes some research. Considering the subset of the photo market that you are in, I think the advice you've been given above is wrong, and way off-base. And I think maybe your customers' complaints and disdain is telling you that. But you're being told above to tell them they're full of chit for worrying about it, and to (politely,of course) STFU and listen to you...

I would say something along these lines: "I take a lot of Landscape photos that I use Photoshop to turn into Digital Art. This is how I show my creativity, and alter something in reality to become something more. I usually try to push towards an Oil Painting, but sometimes I take it a bit further. Just depends on the image and my mood. I showcase traditional Photography as well, but, when I go traditional I keep my edit as natural as I possible can. But I look for opportunities to blow traditional out of the water. "

I think all you can do is tell people what you're trying to do, why you enjoy it, and let them feel however they want to about it.

I also think that whoever told you to ignore this people b/c they aren't buying and aren't true art patrons gave you terrible advice. You have no idea what someone else is thinking, particularly about spending decisions, and pre-judging people will only insure that they won't buy anything. I've had people that I totally wrote off buy portraits from me over and over again.

If your goal is to sell **** to make a living or whatever, then stop photoshopping your work quite so much, since people don't seem to like it.

If your goal is to force other people to value your art at the cost of money, then respond by giving them a short explanation of why you do what you do (letting them know that Ansel Adams probably spent as much time in post production as you do meticulously dodging and burning etc. might help).

If your goal is to sell **** to make a living or whatever, then stop photoshopping your work quite so much, since people don't seem to like it.

hahahahahahahahahahah. Oh what a laugh. You should visit a photo competition some day. Neon overshopped HDR garbage that looks like a unicorn threw up on the picture not only sells **** (literally) but it also wins awards.

If you're up for discussing it you could try explaining that photoshop is a creative tool that you use as part of the process of making your art, It's not supposed to be some puritanical, straight out of camera statement. If that's what they want then there's plenty of 'unnamed albums' or 'randoms' on facebook that'll float their boat.

After you say "yes" why not ask what they are concerned about? They may not want to buy a picture that does not represent an actual landscape because someone pasted in elements from other locations (I'm not sure why, but some people might worry about this). It doesn't sound like you're doing that, in which case you could reassure them and maybe they would buy one.

So my biggest question is, how do I respond? How do I say "yes", while at the same time making them realize that using Photoshop is not wrong? That I am not trying to trick them or sell them something fake (how can it be fake when its hanging on the wall?) I have also been told that when I get that question I should first ask a question before responding. But I can't seem to come up with anything better than "whats your problem with Photoshop?"

I agree with first asking a question yourself as a resonse. My question would not be what their issue is with PS 'cause then the focus is already on the tool so to speak. And besides that it sounds too negative like you're already on the defensive. I would first like to know if they like it or (not) and why. What they think of it. That's the question I would ask. In the end that's what art (in any shape or form) comes down to; either you like it or you don't, it touches you or it doesn't. No matter how it was created.
It might just start off a nice, positive and constructive discussion about art and creativity in which both 'parties' can learn from eachother. If they answer they like it but are wondering how you made it, you could first tell them about what your vision was for a particular piece and then explain how you've created it. In the creative process one of your tools is PS (just like your camera is). And then what ... they suddenly won't like it anymore after they did at first?

And sure, some people won't like it to begin with. And some people may 'suddenly' don't like it anymore when they find out Photoshopped was used (which says something about their appreciation of someone's creativity and lack of knowledge of PS). Either way; fine. Then don't buy!

Well anyway, that's my 2 cents!

Silly post. Sillier than this one anyway.

You could discuss what you do and so not do with photoshop. In fact, I am surprised this comes up, usually some discussion of the artist's process is trotted out on the wall, or in the brochure.

Most reactions

Back