What's new

On the D400 I would like..

Formatted

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Dec 20, 2009
Messages
1,391
Reaction score
66
Location
England
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm a big fan of FX format, its great for sports and it has its purpose in my wildlife work.

But I I'm waiting for a new Pro(-sumer) grade DX format camera, I've heard good things about the D7000 and I'm hoping that those features will be super charged and put into the D400.

One thing I would like is a full pro body, a D3 sized body with a DX sensor. Battery grips are great but a proper full sized body would be even better.

Does anyone else feel the same way?
 
I don't think they will change the body size much at all. They clearly want several levels of cameras. And I think the D400 will be set squarly in the middle. I am expecting an 18-21mp sensor with the dynamic range and better low light the D7000 has. Obviously its not going to be near the D700 / D800 for low light. But the D7000 was a fairly bug jump. I would expect the same with just a little bit bigger sensor. I don't think they will use a similar 16mp like the D90 / D300 had. With several Canons at 18, I expect 18 or maybe even 21. I don't think they will go to 24 though.

I have 2 D300's now and I am waiting for D400 / D800 choice for replacement. I have always used same body for primary and back up. But I just might go D800 / D400 if the specs are in line to what I am expecting. We will see.
 
I guess it might be a novel idea. So long as all you are adding is the extra battery capacity and vertical controls. I would be afraid once you add the extra body size, it would be a slippery slope to adding more options that would only drive the price up. I would imagine it would put it on par with the D700, for price. And if it came down to that or the D700, I think I'd chose the D700 with a grip. I prefer the versatility of having options. And if I'm paying the money, I'd like the benefits of FF. Then again, once upon a time I though parachute pants were a good idea, so take it for what it's worth...
 
I'm waiting too!
 
I'm hoping for an articulating LCD screen. I would find that very useful for shooting above people's heads. Marvin
 
I'm hoping for an articulating LCD screen.

I hope not, I want some durable swivel screens are anything but!
 
They won't do a built-in grip like the D3. I don't expect the size of the prosumer cameras to change. I do expect about the same video capabilities.

As for the image sensor, I expect it to have the same MP as the D7000, but one thing many people seem to miss is the quality of the low pass filter in front of the image sensor in the entry-level Dxxxx cameras, is lower than the quality of the low-pass filter used at the prosumer level.

So, I expect the D400(?) to have improved over the D300s ISO performance in between the D7000 and the D700.
DxOMark - Compare sensors
 
They won't do a built-in grip like the D3. I don't expect the size of the prosumer cameras to change. I do expect about the same video capabilities.

As for the image sensor, I expect it to have the same MP as the D7000, but one thing many people seem to miss is the quality of the low pass filter in front of the image sensor in the entry-level Dxxxx cameras, is lower than the quality of the low-pass filter used at the prosumer level.

So, I expect the D400(?) to have improved over the D300s ISO performance in between the D7000 and the D700.
DxOMark - Compare sensors

This is certainly what I would expect the reality of the situation to be.
 
thats one thing i do not like about nikon, is that they take a long time to upgrade their equipment. i would really like to buy a new camera but i dont want to buy something and then the upgrade comes out. at least give your customers something to work with. Is there a D400/D800/D4??????????
 
at least give your customers something to work with

Well there are 5 perfectly good "pro" grade cameras for sale. Just because the technology is getting a bit old doesn't make the camera any less good!
 
thats one thing i do not like about nikon, is that they take a long time to upgrade their equipment. i would really like to buy a new camera but i dont want to buy something and then the upgrade comes out. at least give your customers something to work with. Is there a D400/D800/D4??????????

Thats the whole problem. They want to keep selling the ones they already have out there! And really by the time they announce a new product by the time it hits the normal person its quite a while. If they let the cat out of the bag early. There is that much longer people may not buy now and wait till later. It's all economics, they need to maximize their sales to recoupe their investment into each model. I don't like it, but I don't blame them either.
 
I like that nikon takes a long time to release new cameras. They wait and put many new features into one new model. I hate it when I buy a tv and 3 months later there is already a new model out.
 
Look at the release dates. They are 1 year apart. DxOMark - Compare sensors

This is an indication of a company that can't get it right, not that they upgrade their equipment at a higher rate.

The T3i is Canon's recently launched, flagship, entry-level camera and after a 3rd try, it still doesn't have the ISO performance, color depth, or dynamic range the nearly 3 year old Nikon D90.

Nikon's recently launched, flagship, entry-level D7000 makes the T3i look less than up-to-date;
DxOMark - Compare sensors

None of Canon's entry-level Rebel cameras have 2 command wheels, color-aware metering, or a top LCD.

Nikon blew the Canon pro lineup out of the water back in 2007 with the launch of the D3, and the D4 is eminent.

Both of Nikon's prosumer cameras, the D300s and the D700, are due for replacement sometime this year.
 
Last edited:
Look at the release dates. They are 1 year apart. DxOMark - Compare sensors

This is an indication of a company that can't get it right, not that they upgrade their equipment at a higher rate.

The T3i is Canon's recently launched, flagship, entry-level camera and after a 3rd try, it still doesn't have the ISO performance, color depth, or dynamic range the nearly 3 year old Nikon D90.

Nikon's recently launched, flagship, entry-level D7000 makes the T3i look less than up-to-date;
DxOMark - Compare sensors

None of Canon's entry-level Rebel cameras have 2 command wheels, color-aware metering, or a top LCD.

Nikon blew the Canon pro lineup out of the water back in 2007 with the launch of the D3, and the D4 is eminent.

Both of Nikon's prosumer cameras, the D300s and the D700, are due for replacement sometime this year.

I think Canon's approach to selling is kinda like car sales. You can get that in this model. But if you want that, you will have to step up to this one. Oh, you want that too? Well you will have to go with this one. Oh, you want the SS model. Well lets step up again. SS with leather. Ah, come with me to the luxury department. You want Ralley wheels too. Well we will have to go over to the luxury sport department. Oh, performance suspension as well. Now we are getting into our high performance department. ETC. Each camera model has just a little bit more than the previous. They put out a lot of models, for a lot of choices. It does give the impression that they have a lot of choices and is better at making cameras with so many to chose from. Several people have asked me why I don't shoot Canon. Said that they are huge and have many more cameras than Nikon does.

I just happeded to start with Nikon. If I started with Canon I am sure I would be in Canon. And at 1 point I did feel Nikon was way behind (most agree too). But they came around.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom