On the Job, Workers, etc...

Here's my "work" shot. I was doing a "ride along" with the Talladega, Alabama police department and they had several convenience store robberies in one night, with one clerk being shot. By the end of the shift, the officers had captured the robbery suspects. Here is a shot of the take-down in progress. This shot is quite old and was shot on Film with a Pentax LX and Kodak P3200 rated at 12,800 ISO and push processed accordingly. It was also shot by "Available moonlight" as a flash would have been dangerous to use. The image was shot at approximately 04:00 a.m.. The lens used was a Tamron 180mm F2.5 SP and an exposure of 1/8th of a second at F2.5, hand held. Technically one of the worst images I have ever had published, but one of the images I am most proud of as well. Difficult under a stressful situation.

44807361_1916347925109731_8802201840092446720_n.jpg

Here's my "work" shot. I was doing a "ride along" with the Talladega, Alabama police department and they had several convenience store robberies in one night, with one clerk being shot. By the end of the shift, the officers had captured the robbery suspects. Here is a shot of the take-down in progress. This shot is quite old and was shot on Film with a Pentax LX and Kodak P3200 rated at 12,800 ISO and push processed accordingly. It was also shot by "Available moonlight" as a flash would have been dangerous to use. The image was shot at approximately 04:00 a.m.. The lens used was a Tamron 180mm F2.5 SP and an exposure of 1/8th of a second at F2.5, hand held. Technically one of the worst images I have ever had published, but one of the images I am most proud of as well. Difficult under a stressful situation.

View attachment 197252

I think under the circumstances that's a brilliant take.

Fantastic action shot. Interesting choice for the final processing.

And way to go Talladega PD!

You should be proud. The grain adds to the drama.

Funny you should say that... I went for a job interview at "a very large newspaper" who had a pinhead for a chief photographer. In fact, such a pinhead, he is now legendary in a particular southeastern state that is surrounded by water. I showed this image, because at the time, it was a technical achievement and won a lot of awards. So, said chief photographer asked what the situation was for the image and I explained that it was shot at 4 a.m. and the first thing he asked is "why didn't you use a flash?" and my response was "Well, I didn't feel like getting shot when the officer mistakenly thought it was muzzle flash". He went on to tell me all of the bad things about the image- grain, composition and on and on. My friend, who was the Editor and wanted me hired asked me about the interview and I told him, as many others did, what an idiot they had for a chief photographer. 2 weeks later, chief photographer was out of a job. Apparently they'd had enough of him and I had found a job at a bigger and better paper by that time, so I didn't worry too much about him. Such is life in the world of photojournalism...

Thanks to each of you for your comments. Much appreciated. I don't show this shot very often because it's one that people either love or hate. And when you have people drawing guns on each other and all you have is a camera, it can get pretty intense, and in those times, difficult to keep a concentration on what you are supposed to be doing. Thanks again.

Cordially,

Mark

Fantastic action shot. Interesting choice for the final processing.

And way to go Talladega PD!

The processing wasn't really a "choice", but what had to be done to get any kind of reasonable shutter speed. Moonlight is pretty dim! :)

Most reactions

Back