One Camera-One lens

Fliphishermon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
We sort of see this same kind of question about once a week on the boards but mine's sort of a twist.

If somebody came up to you and said, "I want to buy a decent camera that will allow me to change lenses," what ONE camera and ONE lens would you suggest, without the option of "go hold it and see what feels right"?

I'm thinking of somebody who wants to learn about photography, as many of the technical details on a camera as possible, but somebody who does not want to post to this kind of forum more than once or twice a month, and somebody who does NOT think about skipping out of work early to catch that one picture .

Price IS an object so low, entry level end, but good enough to get quality to semi-quality shots.

I have a Canon 40D but recognize that most people don't want to pay that much for a camera yet a number of contemporaries want a decent rig. Wondering what a good compromise might be.

Remember One camera with ONE lens (although the camera should be a DSLR.)

Thanks to all...

XTi with an 18-55IS kit lense. So many people want the zoom, even if it is modest. If I wan't trying to keep the lense under $200, I would suggest a better zoom lense, but this is a good place to start.

A Nikon D50 / D40 with 18-200 VR :) about the price of a d80

Used XTi with 50mm f/1.8 is very affordable.

Used 30D with 50mm f/1.8 pretty good as well.

Am thinking you can get used XTi or 30D cheaply because of # of people upgrading to 40D?

The 50mm f/1.8 - a f/1.8 lens for less then $100!

i think a sticky with a guide is in order, with like 5 cameras from each company ranging in price and then the choice of the best for the money out of each category. then people could take a look at the sticky and have an easy beginners guide to buying a dslr

i think a sticky with a guide is in order, with like 5 cameras from each company ranging in price and then the choice of the best for the money out of each category. then people could take a look at the sticky and have an easy beginners guide to buying a dslr
Negative. Not Possible.

if you gave him a prime lens, wouldn't he be a very grouchy man that his slr camera can't zoom :wink:

Why is everyone picking the XTi rather than the XT?

This kind of question is hard to answer. For a beginner, any of the low end DSLR with a kit lens will serve the purpose of learning. When you ask me, you will get a bias opinion because of the camera that I own. Thus far, I see many recommends Canon, a few Nikons, but noone even touch the other brands out there, why is that? You cannot go wrong with ANY brands out there. If the person is a "researcher" type, I would send them to DPreview.com where there are tons of on hands review and recommendations.

Why is everyone picking the XTi rather than the XT?

Good question! The XT is considered better than the XTi even by Popular Photography.

skieur

If you buy too low end, you will end up replacing it very shortly and that will be expensive.

I would consider the Sony Alpha 350 coming out the end of March at 14.2 megapixels with lens for less than $1,000. That certainly would keep you going for a while and not become obsolete very quickly either.

skieur

Most reactions

Back