One for C&C

Okie Photo©

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Caught this one of my wife today. Let me know what you guys and gals think!

Happy Thanksgiving!

KaleeRae.jpg

Missed the focus sadly. I'd probably prefer framing a bit more to the side (right), or cropped tighter if you prefer her more centered.

The image is edited to soften the look a bit. Think that is what is throwing the focus off, or do you think I really missed the focus?

Let me grab the original real quick

Softening the look is ok, but your eyes should always be sharp. That's where I'm drawing my missed focus conclusion from.

In the original its clear that the left eye is more on the focal point than the right eye, but its still quite soft.

As a rule of thumb, when shooting portraits - shoot in portrait orientation. It's not always the case, but I think it would have helped here.

Your wife looks like she's still a willing model, my wife always says to people that she has a live-in paparazzi :D

As a rule of thumb, when shooting portraits - shoot in portrait orientation. It's not always the case, but I think it would have helped here.

Your wife looks like she's still a willing model, my wife always says to people that she has a live-in paparazzi :D

ROFL, my wife has been saying the exact same thing lately. I recently purchased my SB-600 and have been shooting anything and everything I can find to get the practice in.

I try to keep my portraits in portrait, this was just a quick shot I got while we were standing outside waiting for the turkey to get done!! :p

I generally agree about portrait orientation for portraits, however, shots like these (where you're framing the face + shoulders) work best in landscape. Otherwise you're left shooting wider than you need to, or from a greater distance if shot on a prime, and then cropping the image to reframe it. Shooting landscape allows you to frame the shot with the camera itself and minimize or eliminate the need to crop the frame.

It's all in how the photographer wants to present the scene. We have general rules to photography, but all rules are made to be and can be broken to present the scene how we wish it to be presented or interpreted.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back