One lucky photographer

It's a thin line for sure. (You know; the line between brave and stupid.)

I crossed it once and got lucky at a CORR race in Chula Vista in Sept '07. Almost got taken out by Scott Douglas on the front straight.

I was standing to the left, near the "ULLY", looking the other way taking pictures when it got dark and started raining rocks.

It was my second time ever with track access and I learned a very valuable and obvious lesson.

Wow. Props to that photog. But I have to wonder how much of it is instinctual. I mean the tree drops, and he probably just started rapid firing. Keep in mind that this all happened in less that 2 seconds, so he barely had time to react anyways. Even if he immediately noticed what was happening, and immediately ran, he would have been 10 feet further away with no pictures. I'm sure he quickly noticed that the car was out of control, but who would think that it was going to do a 180, cross the entire track, make backward progress, then almost jump the barrier? Awesome job to him for standing his ground.

Wow. Props to that photog. But I have to wonder how much of it is instinctual. I mean the tree drops, and he probably just started rapid firing. Keep in mind that this all happened in less that 2 seconds, so he barely had time to react anyways. Even if he immediately noticed what was happening, and immediately ran, he would have been 10 feet further away with no pictures. I'm sure he quickly noticed that the car was out of control, but who would think that it was going to do a 180, cross the entire track, make backward progress, then almost jump the barrier? Awesome job to him for standing his ground.

my theory is he was trying to work out how to switch beep off, within the overly complex menu and did not even know the car was coming at him. Probably found the pics on his card when he got home

my theory is he was trying to work out how to switch beep off, within the overly complex menu and did not even know the car was coming at him. Probably found the pics on his card when he got home

Or camera was likely on rapid fire, and he was completely frozen in fear, and his finger just happened to be depressing the shutter when he froze.

that made me crap in my pants

Wow...great pics, but damn...I agree that he probably didn't even have time to react anyway. Not when those cars jump out and hit probably 200mph part way down the track.

What caused that? Broken steering component? Accidental arm spasm on the driver's part on the green with 2,000 horsepower spinnin' those back tires? I mean, that was one bad,bad start!

I'm not sure, and I haven't read up on it any more, but my guess would be something tire or driveline-related (ie the right rear wheel going or getting traction and the left rear not).

Most reactions

Back