One of my first decent b&w film photos, C&C please

laszlo462

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This photo was taken a few weeks ago with an old Nikon EM and a 70-200 lens. I really liked how to original turned out, but it was a little too bright, so the second is the the processed photo. All adjustments were made using Lightroom2. I think the vignetting may be a bit much, perhaps I'd soften that up a bit. I would like to take the original again and do some burning in of the clouds and water, since I didn't have a filter on the camera when it was shot, but I'm still in the process of trial and error with making those edits. Any critique on what I should do differently for the shot itself or the post processing would be great. I'm here to learn as much as I can.

Original

391726-R1-049-23_011.jpg

Processed

IMG_0001.jpg

Thanks to all in advance.

Where does all this colour come from in your black&white photography :scratch: ???????

And what does it mean: first film. Did you develop it yourself and make your own prints in the darkroom?

That colour totally throws me here. Mostly so the blue of her vest. It is so NOT black and white what I see...

The original was kodak BW400CN film. The original is the jpeg off the CD i got when it was developed. The processed image was after that jpeg was thrown into Lightroom where I added a little warmth to the photo and it brought out some slight colors.

I know the film itself states that it be devoloped like any other color film. I don't know a whole lot about that end of things, so maybe that's why there is a little color there. Perhaps someone can elaborate on that film.

You know, I actually like the first one better. It was the only one visible on my screen before I scrolled down and realized there was another - so after a few minutes of considering the image I got to liking it.

I would have thought the background was too bright, especially the over-exposed buildings, but given the sharpness and contrast of your subject, it works. It has a high-key look to it that I really like.

The second one not so much - there's more grain, the decreased range of light and dark means the subject doesn't pop as much to me, and the vignetting is too much for my tastes.

I'd go with #1.

Wow, yeah I actually like the high key look of the first one. Great shot!

Most reactions

Back