One of my Hard drives died :(

Davor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im really down right now, one of the Hard drives that holds my information is dead, since i have my Computer on RAID 0

(which means there is 2 physical hard drives into one virtual entity, so when something gets written, the data gets split into two, one piece of data goes to one HD and the other to etc...)

So right now im trying to salvage what's left of this computer as im surprised it is still up and running, the worst part is, all my photos are on this partition and i was planning to back them up this week. :( , hopefully if the photos transfer ill still have time to backup all my applications and personal data.

Then its off to the computer store to buy another Hard drive and hope the same thing doesn't repeat again.

Moral of the story: Keep multiple back-ups.

Well that's the funny part i was planning to backup within this week, i had so much things to do and never go around to it. Well the good news it i managed to copy the whole 20gb of photos i had to the next hard drive. Now the boring part of reformatting my computer and reinstalling everything :(

I do a full back-up every night. Entire drive gets mirrored to an external drive. Once a week, that external drive gets copied wholesale to yet another external drive. Then, for s&g's, that external drive gets copied yet again to another drive that's stored off-site.

Yeah, I'm anal about it. But short of something like Deep Impact, I'd say I don't have much to worry about.

You can never be too safe, i tend to be lazy so i always skip out on it. I just need to sit down and figure out what software to use and figure out what to backup. The only thing i care about is my photos everything else is replaceable.

R.I.P. Hard drive.

I backup my crap everytime a shoot something new.

Well i managed to backup all my photos and most of my personal data before the Hard drive completely died off, i called Wester Digital and theyre sending me a new one and then when i get the new one i send the old one back and no money paid. Well time to move on to the SSD world.

Glad you managed to get the important stuff off, but really...

Someone who knows enough to set up a raid 0 array knows how dangerous that is without a proper backup scheme.

I'm using Acronis TrueImage 2010 to a RAID 5 4TB server. It does incremental backups every 2 hours, and deletes old ones when it needs room. I have about 2 weeks of backups for every 2 hours of everything important. I definitely recommend TrueImage to anyone looking for a backup solution. THere are many free solutions, but in the realm of backup, you really do get what you pay for. I also do off-site mirroring (via a service like ZumoDrive or Dropbox) of my most mission critical stuff.

Also, anyone who finds themselves reformatting often, you can install everything just as you like it, then make a "clean install" image that you can simply put on any new installations. Takes way shorter than installing from a DVD then running all over the internet to reinstall your programs! For this, I use the linux utility disk GParted. Instructions are readily available in the googles.

Back in the days of zip disks..... multiple backups only meant multiple failures. I literally had multiple backs all fail on me at the same time!
One of my classmate's dad was an Iomega VP and I made him hate me.

Back in the days of zip disks..... multiple backups only meant multiple failures. I literally had multiple backs all fail on me at the same time!
One of my classmate's dad was an Iomega VP and I made him hate me.

2 hard drive copy, 1 dvd copy and 1 non running hard drive offsite.
if all 4 fails, lets say i wont take the plane.

why I love film, negatives last longer than hard drives.

i do multiple back ups too. Got like 6 drives with the same into and a spare drive I keep stored elsewhere, plus an FTP with all my stuff. I don't **** around I had a HDD crash once before.

Have you consider the possibility to use an online backup??? which backup method will you use? Im afraid the same happened to me I dont have backups of my data

why I love film, negatives last longer than hard drives.

i do multiple back ups too. Got like 6 drives with the same into and a spare drive I keep stored elsewhere, plus an FTP with all my stuff. I don't **** around I had a HDD crash once before.

firemn.gif
Film burns just as easy as hard drives.
extinguish.gif

Mac time machine is where it is at. Will do it automatically..

Most reactions

Back