One Photo 3 Ways - VOTE

CGR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there. I'm still pretty new to using Lightroom and I'm struggling to find my "style". I seem to want to edit each photo totally different. But I know that if I ever want to work toward a brand, I need to come up with more a style that is my own. I digress, anyway... this is one picture, 3 ways. I'm curious, which do you like best?

p.s. If I had to give this photo a name it would be "Big Sister Problems" LOL ;)

$2.jpg$3web.jpg$1web.jpg

I usually go for light and bright (like #1). But I felt that she was sort of moody and that inspired some moody edits. How important do you all think it is to have a "brand"- like for someone to be able to look at an image and know it is yours? (or at least know what to expect if you will be photographing them)

Another vote for #1

Well, ignoring the fact that I don't like the chopped off head or the landscape orientation here--#1 or #3, either one works pretty well.
#2 looks more like a Depression-era photo--to me--and makes me think the child is poor, needy and possibly neglected or orphaned more than just moody. Which is fine if that's what you're going for, but I'm guessing it's not. :D

I can't really speak to how important it is to have a signature "style" since I don't shoot for a living--I shoot what I want, when I want (well, no--when I *can* really, not when I *want*) and process it however I feel like processing it.
But it would SEEM to me like it's more important to just deliver consistently GOOD results, rather than results that all have a particular "style" to them. I'd say it's probably good to process all of one session in a particular style for consistency, but other than that, I'd tend to do whatever worked best, imo, for that session, not just fit them all into "my style." But then, that could be reason #3,516 why Professional Photography is not for me. :lol:

#1 is my favorite.

Thanks for the votes everyone! :) Yes sm4him, I see why you are "mostly harmless". Obviously, if I'm just learning Lightroom, I have a very long way to go before I would consider taking photographs for profit. I appreciate everyone's opinions.

Last edited:
I am a fan of 3 myself.

1 gets my vote too... I do like the edit on 2 for maybe a different photo, I just agree with whoever said the child looks poor and neglected in this particular photo because of her expression.

Well, she was feeling neglected and "poor" in a woe-is-me sense. Her little sister was born 7 days ago. The photo shoot was all about the newborn and I turned around and snapped this one. I like it because it captures her feelings at this time in her life. And I guess I did feel moved to "edit-in" the story rather than my usual bright and airy. I know the parents likely won't love it. But is it ok to throw in a dark and stormy with a batch of bright and airy photos. I guess that is up to me. I was just curious as to what others were drawn to. It's a tricky business, all this editing power. How much is too much! I never want someone to look at my photo and say "wow, she edited the heck out of that!" So, I guess we practice, practice, practice.

I like #1 best, but would like #3 better if not for the dark area on the left. It doesn't seem to blend.

Most reactions

Back