Online File storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
look into Easiest Online Backup Service - Backblaze

5 bucks/month. I haven't taken the dive yet, but I probably will soon.

Looks pretty good! You can try our mozy for free also, they have a 2 gb max for their free service. So you can see how their interface works and stuff it's pretty cool. It mounts a "drive" to your PC so you can easily see what's backed up and restore it as if it were an external drive.

Very simple answer.

Sign up for an online photo service like snapfish or walmart. They let you upload as much as you want. The only catch is you have to buy at least one print a year. So 10 cent a year.

Very simple answer.

Sign up for an online photo service like snapfish or walmart. They let you upload as much as you want. The only catch is you have to buy at least one print a year. So 10 cent a year.

eh, not really photo archival stuff here, from their site:

<li type="I">Digital Image Storage

1. [*] Snapfish offers free, unlimited storage of online photos to Members who maintain Active Participation. There is no limit to the Content you can upload. When you upload image Content to the Service, the original resolution of your Content may be affected depending on the upload speed you choose. Further, if you upload an image with more than nine mega-pixels of resolution, Snapfish may in its discretion down-sample the image regardless of the upload speed you choose.

[*]You should always preserve your original Content, or make back-up copies of such Content, on your personal system. You should not use the Service as the only repository or other source for your Content.
Also this:

Photos
File type
Extension
Upload methods JPG
.jpg, .jpeg, .jpe
All upload methods

Great for sharing not so great for archival.

I would have to recommend upgrading to your own hosting. You can NEVER rely on FREE online storage services. I have seen these come and go overnight through the years. Either #1 do as advised above and get a decent external hard drive, or get a decent plan on a well respected web hosting service in the 6-12 a month range , heck even host your website on it. Best bet do both use an external hard drive AND get paid storage. After losing a number of images in a major virus attack a couple years ago, i have learned the hard way NEVER rely on just the hard drive in your computer.

...get a decent plan on a well respected web hosting service in the 6-12 a month range , heck even host your website on it...

+1 anything to get it off site 1&1 is a well respected hosting company been around for a while and I'm sure are very reasonably priced.

Hey ababysean I tried ZenOK Online Backup, it works quit good.

I personally wouldn't be comfortable 'storing' important data on-line. If it's backup, that's OK...but not as your only version.

As mentioned, hard drives are ridiculously cheap compared to what they used to cost. You don't even need an external drive, if your computer has room for another internal one.

I've been 1 tetrabyte drives getting down to around $100 CDN, so I'm sure you can find something cheaper in your neck of the woods.

Although, the one thing that bothers me, is that it wasn't long ago that 300-500 GB drives were $100-$150. But now that 1 & 2 TB drives are getting cheaper, I'm not seeing $50 500GB drives in any stores. I know they are available, they are just hard to find.

Not sure if you meant online or in a local store. Check Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda ST3500413AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb&#47;s 3.5&#34; Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $40 shipped to your door. Can't really beat that. Well, you probably can but I found that in like 30 seconds.

3-2-1 consider to be a Best Business option. 3 copies, 2 media, 1 off site.

As has been mentioned, external storage is cheap these days. I recently got a 2 T seagate for $84 including shipping.

Yes all this redunancy is a pain, and boring, but it is important. Recently I had the dreaded computer melt down. It was a pain, but not a tragic loss as all important docs and photos are stored on 4 external hard drives. In fact I keep very few folders on my hard drive as all that information slows down the computer. One copy is kept off site.

Backing up on line may be an option, and i am considering it; however, my most recent trip results in a folder over 50GB and backing up just that folder will be interesting, let alone all other folders.

In my classes I recommend two copies backed up, and non on the computer. These are just average folks wanting to take better family photos, but those photos need to be available years from now. These files are not like a strip of negatives that can be thrown in a shoebox to be retrived 20 years later to make some photos of your children as babies to be shown at their wedding shower.

iCloud haters
bigthumb.gif

Google drive. It will change your life especially if you have multiple pcs you want to access your files easily from. It puts dropbox to shame.

The thing is, you leave it running in the background, it'll get done when it gets done, then it'll constantly update as you go.
I think the OP is looking for some extra storage rather than a backup or archive solution. I agree that as a backup or archive, online is just fine within practical limits. Browsing or searching for files on this kind of setup will be a chore though. I suppose if it's free then it's only your time to try it out, assuming you have true unlimited DSL; somethine which is a rarety this side of the atlantic.

What does OP stands for? Is it a website that serves as file storage too? I just wanted to clarify anything because I also find it interesting. My computer hard drive also is full so that is why I am looking for online file storage. Thanks! :)

Walmart was having a sale for 500gb external drives for $55...
Um, geht 2TB or 3TB drives.

Much cheaper money/storage ratio.

Unless we talk about those small ones you can put in your pocket. Then get the 1.5TB ones.

ALSO, online storage is NOT the same as external harddrives !

External harddrives can be stolen, burned, etc.

Online storage can do the same, but elsewhere. Unlikely that it happends both at your home and whereever "elsewhere" is.

P.s.: I also had it multiple times that external harddrives just died on me.

Closer to 2.5 years old, which was before the Beginners forum description and policy change.

OP stands for Original Poster, or Original Post.

Note that the tread starters name is followed by OP in the first post and in any subsequent posts that member makes in that thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back