Online Photo hosting sites

Captain IK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I see that many TPF members host their pictures on sites such as flicker or smugmug.
Which sites are best suited for the average photographer?
I have an account on photobucket, redbubble and Picasa web albums, but I don;t see these ones used here.

Why is that? What are your experiences with the different sites. I would certainly prefer to host my photos on one site only, but can;t seem to find the "right" one.
What do you use?

I just have a website through mobile me.

I use photobucket myself it all I have ever used.............:thumbsup:

Photobucket, Fastpictures, Flickr, Snapfish (never use it), Blogspot (contains many photos, but linking is more difficult, I find), Facebook (linking is possible but a bit of a nuisance from there, too).

This won't help you in finding YOUR one and only host site, since I myself use so many ... and believe me: I often forget who hosts which photos for me... :roll:

I use Smugmug I can sell photos directly out of there as well as put in goggle checkouts for anything I want. They have some protection such as right click disabled, fully customizable, and supper easy to use for both me and my clients.

I can also host all my blog photos and when photo clicked on in the blog opens right in the gallery in Smugmug. Ther customer support is top notch.

I have tried flicker and they are difficult to use in comparison. Facebook owns any and all intellectual material that you put on Facebook and by doing so you grant them a world wide license to do as the please with your material. Blogspot/ bloger and myspace are not much better. Hope this helps, if you do try smugmug let me know and I can get you some discounts. If you want to check out some of the customizing you can do just check out mine in my sig. Plus when the say unlimited that is what they mean. I currently have over 18,000 full res photos hosted there with over 50GB and my traffic averages 70,000 hits a month.

Last edited:
ive used photobucket for a few years but im making the gradual switch to flikr, as that seems to be the more popular choice

I use flickr and photobucket. Flickr for ease of viewing, and Photobucket for family stuff and testing.
The best thing you could do for hosting purposes is to get your own website and upload and do your own hosting. These days you can get a website for next to nothing.

I use zenfolio, and I like it.

.me is extremely, extremely slow for some reason. I have no idea where Apple has their servers placed, but I suspect it is somewhere in orbit around the moon with the lag time .me has.

I have my own hosting and web site, but am not using it for anything other than work/business purposes.

For my photos, $25/year... UNLIMITED pics/transfer rates.

Flickr.

'nuff said.

Thanks for the info guys,
Looks like I will try fickr and smugmug.
Holy...Thanks for the offer. I will keep it in mind.

I use photobucket. I've seen a lot of people complaining that it messes up their colors, but I've never had a problem with it. I think a lot of that might be from people without calibrated monitors, or using the wrong color space.

SmugMug is awesome! I tried Picasa, but you can't upload full size files (at least you could not when I tried them). I also did not like the limits with Picasa on subdirectories.

Most reactions

Back