online photography courses...do or don't?

paigegreen916

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
tgpphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
has anyone ever taken an online photography course? i've been considering it. i would love to get a BFA in Photography, but i just dont have the time for anything but online, and i cant afford san fransisco's academy of art's $670 a UNIT. i've looked at a couple of "online photography courses", you know, the "non-degree-just-help-you-develop-your-art" kind of course, and i'm not totally convinced its worth the money. is it something i can gain from books alone or do you think the interaction and the courses really help that much?

About the only thing a "course" can teach you is the theory and science of the subject. Sure they might have exercises to buff your creativity, but at the end of the day you either have an "eye" or you don't - or you scour Flickr looking for **** to copy.

$670 a UNIT
Gangsters.

About all that can be said about that. Is there a community college near you? Surely they have an evening Photography class or one on the weekends you could attend.

I've seen plenty of people sign up for these on-line courses. The material might be good, but your success is really dependent on you and your determination to get something out of it. If you are not very self motivated, it's much to easy to slack off and they usually drop out. That's what I've seen anyway.

Have you considered doing one course at a time, in a night school or community college setting? You might not be working toward a degree, but I think that the information is worth more that a degree, when it comes to Photography.

I've seen plenty of people sign up for these on-line courses. The material might be good, but your success is really dependent on you and your determination to get something out of it. If you are not very self motivated, it's much to easy to slack off and they usually drop out. That's what I've seen anyway.

Have you considered doing one course at a time, in a night school or community college setting? You might not be working toward a degree, but I think that the information is worth more that a degree, when it comes to Photography.

i am currently enrolled in a beginning photography course through our CC, but its alll basically review, and its the only Photo class offered online. maybe i'll just save my pennies and see if any SoCal photographer is willing to do a Mentoring session.

Good idea. You can probably learn more, carrying the bag of a pro for a week, than you would by taking a month long class.

Join a local camera club... There are usually lots of people who are only too happy to sit down with you and share their knowledge.

I would not do it. I did it when I first got interested in photography and it was not worth it...Yeah the material was great, but if you got lost or confused on something there would be no one to help you. The instructor never replied back or message board was no help...I wasted $900 on the program. That's about two semesters of community college right there(not including supplies).

Don't do it.

There's too much free information online to warrant paying big bucks for an online course that will give you the same information, merely consolidated and organized. If that's all you're paying for, you're being ripped off.

As others have said, you can be taught technique and usage, but not artistic expression. Art is like a talent: you've either got it or you don't. If you do, you can improve upon it, but no amount of training will teach you art if you are not artistic.

I have started an online course in Professional Photography and I think its FANTASTIC so far anyway. I was extremely sceptical about the "online thing" so I called a few government Education departments asking of their advice on this particular course and they backed everything up including their reputation for successful students. Good luck!

I have started an online course in Professional Photography and I think its FANTASTIC so far anyway. I was extremely sceptical about the "online thing" so I called a few government Education departments asking of their advice on this particular course and they backed everything up including their reputation for successful students. Good luck!

and which course is this, might i ask?

The tutors are always communicating and offering any help from the course to your long term goals,career etc. Its realy is worth a look. They also send you the course materials then you have 10 days to decide if you wish to change your mind with money back.. Download the free facts pack online and take a look...The photographer is truely inspiring...

That $670 could better be used to take you to places to pratice your photo taking and a books which would be teh same thing as taking the online course\
I vote NO
Perfect Pratice make Perfect

Most reactions

New Topics

Back