Online places to rent lenses?

LittleMike

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So next weekend I might be heading out to get some racecar pictures, but I don't have a telephoto lens. I've got a 5D mkII with 24-105L right now. I'm hoping to rent a Canon 70-200 2.8L IS. Unfortunately there aren't any camera shops that rent within about 200 miles in the opposite direction of where I'm heading that I could physically pick one up (the nearest would most likely be in Vegas). So now on to my question of legit places online you can rent them. I've already googled it, but I'm a little leery of some places. I want to make sure I don't get ripped off. What have you used with good success?

Also, would the 70-200 have a long enough reach, or should I go with the 100-400 at the sacrifice of a tighter aperture? It's on an outdoor 3/8 mile dirt track, and I'll have access to the infield so I shouldn't be TOO far away.

Well the 100-400 is a f/4.5-5.6 if I'm not mistaken, but if it's an indoor race track it should be fairly well lit. The f/2.8 definitely wouldn't be needed (at least in my opinion) so the better one would probably be the 70-200 f/4L IS if you wanted that range.

Truth be told the 100-400 would probably be more helpful unless you have a 1.4x or 2x extender lying around. Much bigger range and you'll probably be using the longer ends of the zoom for the most part.

As for the site, 2 of the better I've heard about are BorrowLenses.com and LensRentals.com. I've personally never rented a lens online (although I'm thinking about it) but those are the 2 I'd probably use.

Most reactions

Back