OOF Ecstasy. Fuji 80mm Macro

Discussion in 'Macro Photography' started by jcdeboever, Jun 4, 2018.

1. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I think this lens can really do a lot of things if I could harness it's power. I need to journal this lens for sure, like the 50-140. These two lens are really artistic and can produce a wide scale. Here are four, hardly touched, just cropped.

1. medium close, wide open custom chrome
    Cactus Glory.jpg

2. way back, cropped big time for composition that was pre visualized. custom velvia
    Groovy Gazania.jpg

3. almost uncropped
    OOF test against high sun light.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  2. Jeff G

Jeff G -Amateur Shutterbug- Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Nice batch JC.

• Like Like x 1
  3. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Nice JC, this maybe some of the best SOOC you've done yet. Colors are fantastic.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 407370

407370 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    oooooh nice!!!
    I been working on flower macro myself for a while and now I can see what I need to get right.
    Well done

5. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

Very nice, but all can be improved with some post. ... at least to my eye and taste.

6. Fujidave

Fujidave Blue eyed and Beautiful Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good colourful set JC, love the last one great shot.

7. jcdeboever

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks everyone. I'm really at a loss with post processing. I have no idea how to do much in software. I was thinking of taking a class at some point along this journey. Every time I try to do something in post, I don't care for the changes. I trust it is from a lack of understanding the tools.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Donde

Donde TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Great colors!

• Like Like x 1
  9. smoke665

Photos OK to edit
    @jcdeboever There really isn't anything wrong with your approach to create in camera. It obviously works for you and you're happy with it so don't beat yourself up.

For me my style is to shoot for maximum data that can manipulated into something that I envisioned when I took the shot. We both approach a shot similarly and the better the exposure the better the final result. To say you don't do much in software is a bit of a misnomer, as every time you chose a processing feature in camera you are using software to convert the image. I have built in feature on the K3ii and the K1MKII, that I could just as easily apply in camera, but for the most part they are global effects. The new one goes a step further by using face recognition software to apply specific skin tone treatments. Call me weird but I like the further control in post that I can apply as I see it, not as the camera manufacturers think it should be.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jcdeboever

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks bud. Yup, fuji does a bang up job on color rendering. I have found the standard or default really nice on flowers. I was using a custom velvia simulation for a while but have gone away from it.

11. jcdeboever

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks. These days, I mostly just convert the raw as is. I check the histogram for blinking highlights, if none, I just convert it. If there are blinking highlights, I pull them back. I rarely even get those now, I can usually look at a scene in viewfinder and adjust ec and no blinking lights. It really is a wonderful camera, it just gives me what I want in camera 99% of the time.

I eventually want to get more creative, and I think post could do that if I knew what to do. I am slowly working on previsualizing more dramatic looks to images and journaling my thoughts as opposed to actually performing them in post. I have a running folder of select images (roughly 20) that I plan on exploring through software. However, it's on the back burner, because I am in the process of finishing my darkroom. I am focused on wet printing now and will begin that journey in a week or two.

12. smoke665

Photos OK to edit

Not sure if it's a Pentax thing or all cameras are this way, but I seek to expose to where it kisses the right. If I stop before any blinkies, when I import the histogram registers a 1/4 to a 1/2 stop under. If I expose to where the blinkies are barely visible when I import it's right on the money.

I actually envy you and your patience in camera, so I strive to be more like you in that respect, because I sometimes find myself a bit lazy about knowing I can fix it in post, but I find there is a whole new world that opens up in post. Don't like a background, change it. Don't like the colors change them, don't like the expression on one person out a group shot, change it, nothing quite fits the vision you wanted initially, then go to files to pick and choose the images to combine. With in camera the creative process starts and ends there, with post it never ends.

• Like Like x 1