Opening RAW files on computer

Kazzy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am taking a risk at looking stupid here...I have taken a few photos in RAW rather than JPEG, and when I go to load them on my laptop, the same way I always do, only the JPEG ones show up, not the RAW ones. So I put my memory card in and copied the RAW files onto the computer, but they wont open in photoshop or Lightroom 3. And just to see them I opened one in Paint, but it was tiny, like 160 mp by 120 or something. It also wont let me change the size of the photo on my camera when I am shooting in RAW. I have a Nikon D3100.

If anyone can understand what I am on about, please could you help? :D

Raw DNG should show up in lightroom.
There's an option in the camera to let you shoot raw, DNG.
Pentax can use PEF raw files, but that won't open in lightroom for me, so I shoot raw DNG.
Raw DNG is pretty much a standard that will open in any editing software.
It wont let you change the size becasue its raw.
It's a digital negative.
To change the size you have to edit the image, then save as a tiff or jpeg.

Ah right okay, thankyou so much for that. :)

Big help.

I am taking a risk at looking stupid here...I have taken a few photos in RAW rather than JPEG, and when I go to load them on my laptop, the same way I always do, only the JPEG ones show up, not the RAW ones. So I put my memory card in and copied the RAW files onto the computer, but they wont open in photoshop or Lightroom 3. I have a Nikon D3100.

Make sure you have at least Lightroom 3.3 and Camera Raw 6.3 - those were the versions to first support the D3100. If not then updating should help with the RAW files. I hope that helps! :)

Daf

Oh thankyou I might have to update, as I think I just have Lightroom 3 (if there is just a 3). I tried for 4, but I only have windows xp, so it wasnt compatable.

You don't say which Photoshop, but the current Photoshop Camera Raw and Lightroom 3 both use ACR 6 (Adobe Camera Raw).

With either Photoshop or Lightroom open, In the Application bar across the top of the workspace click on HELP > UPDATE

According to this list: Camera Raw plug-in | Supported cameras you need at least ACR 6.3 for your D3100. Looks like the current release of ACR is 6.5

You don't say which Photoshop, but the current Photoshop Camera Raw and Lightroom 3 both use ACR 6 (Adobe Camera Raw).

With either Photoshop or Lightroom open, In the Application bar across the top of the workspace click on HELP > UPDATE

According to this list: Camera Raw plug-in | Supported cameras you need at least ACR 6.3 for your D3100. Looks like the current release of ACR is 6.5

Thanks for that. Updating right now. :)

Most reactions

Back