Opinion? - Cokin Super Slim Pure Harmonie Multi Coated UV Filter

My opinion? Save the $40 and buy a decent microfiber cleaning cloth, then take the remaining $30 and invest it into jug white wine. Or fancy French chocolates. Either one would be a better investment than a UV filter. Lens caps are for at home. When you're out shooting UN-CAP the lens, slap on a lens hood, and be ready to shoot.

Never tried their screw-in filters, and I'm not sure why anyone would need or want a thin-mount UV (or any UV for that matter). When you buy the better brands (B+W for instance), their thin-mount filters come with their own slip-on lens cap.

I may be jumping to conclusion but you seem like you are not big fans of using uv filters for lens protection, for the odd time i get a little bit of reflection off the filter that takes a couple of seconds to remove in PS , I prefer to keep the uv filter on at all times.

I really just wanted to know if anybody had used these filters before, and if they caused any problems.

John.

It's middle/low-end price-wise, so I'd expect middle/low-end performance. Increased CA, increased flare/ghosting, etc. If you really want a "protection" filter, than I would recommend one these instead.

So, a UV filter is going to offer "protection" from what, exactly? Stray Harrier jump jet cannon rounds? Errant crossbow quarrels? Bricks thrown by angry soccer hooligans? ;-)

Have you actually SEEN how tough even a $99 Canon cheapie lens' front element actually is? What is that? Is it seventeen hammer blows in one go, right on the front element? I forget, it has been a while since I counted.

Last edited by a moderator:
HaHa i saw that video years ago, but you know what it`s like you cannot scratch it when you want too, but a stray couple of sand grains in your cleaning cloth and it`s scratched.

I have been looking at the "Hoya HD2 Protector" instead of the B+W one.

John.

Most reactions

Back