From an old time beginner to a newbie beginner..
You DEFIANTLY have a feel for the art. No doubt.
I have been raked over the coals by others in other forums for asking weird questions, so I know the feeling. As for the shots, the sky aspect can defiantly be wayyyyyy to distracting. Defiantly chop it down a bit. Follow your rules of thirds.
Second, the highway shot is very well done, and that is the kind of shot that people like. Not perfectly symmetrical, but filling the frame well. The shot of the flower is good, but a bit to saturated. The highway in NM (where I live) is not to bad either. But when doing cloud shots, one thing I have discovered is that a goodly amount of creative posing is in order. (meaning hold the camera at different angles).
I have shot nearly 3000 cloud pics in the past 4 years, and have discovered certain things. This also works with your sunrise: Try to define the image with a unique aspect of the image. Create a subject without it being a subject. Then see if you can capture the image with rays of the sun, shadows, etc.
Most importantly, get the image on disk if its film, and then play with it a bit. Remember that sometimes film processors will adjust the image to make up for seen discrepancies. (too bright, too contrasty, etc.) Then the effect you are looking for may get lost. So ask for uncorrected images on the disk.
Then, keep shooting, you will only get better. And good luck.