Opinion on this lens

Gbarnes90

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone, I have my eye on a lens that someone in the area is selling. I’m wondering if anyone has an opinion on this lens. How sharp are the photos that come from this lens? It is the
Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED Lens

You should compare the 55-200 to the 70-300, then determine which one fits YOUR needs best.
If you need reach, then skip the 55-200 and get the 70-300 VR.

Caution, there are several versions of the 70-300, and you must match the lens to YOUR camera.
Look at the compatibility charts to determine which version will and will not work with your camera.

It will be a good lens to start off with. It will allow you to explore what you want to do with a camera. I started off with that lens on my D40 and had lots of fun.

I would also suggest looking into the 70-300 unless there is a big price difference, you can never have enough reach

But, as you get better and want more challenges, you very well may be looking to replace it at some point.

How sharp are the photos that come from this lens?
Hello!

This is one of the two lenses that are bundled with Nikon's "entry level" cameras. That's how I got mine. Sharpness is but one measure of a lens's performance, but I think they are "acceptable", especially at the price point. According to the current listings on e-bay for used examples, they are listed from around $85 all the way up to $200 (on average).

Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the 70-300 kit lens. But it is not a VR lens. This is fine if I use my tripod, but I’m looking to pickup something in that zoom range that will have VR.

Is there something around a 55-200 with a lower f stop? Something that will open up bigger than 4.5? Sorry if it’s a dumb question, I’m new to dslr’s

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Is there something around a 55-200 with a lower f stop? Something that will open up bigger than 4.5? Sorry if it’s a dumb question, I’m new to dslr’s

That is when you have to switch to the FX f/2.8 or 4 pro lenses.
Unfortunately, both Nikon and Canon have chosen to NOT make a complete DX lens system. All the good/fast lenses are in the FX/FF gear.
I went with the 70-200/4 for just that reason, that there was no current similar fast DX lens.
The only similar fast DX lens, is the discontinued Sigma 50-150/2.8.

They left the door open for Sigma with their discontinued 50-150/2.8 and it's replacement the shorter zoom range but even faster 50-100/1.8. If Sigma had made a refined version 2 of the 50-150/2.8, I may have bought one.

Unfortunately, both Nikon and Canon have chosen to NOT make a complete DX lens system. All the good/fast lenses are in the FX/FF gear.
I went with the 70-200/4 for just that reason, that there was no current similar fast DX lens.

They left the door open for Sigma with their discontinued 50-150/2.8 and it's replacement the shorter zoom range but even faster 50-100/1.8. If Sigma had made a refined version 2 of the 50-150/2.8, I may have bought one.

How will an FX lens work on a DX body? I have a D5600. I’ve never purchased a lens for it. I’ve just used what it came with.

How will an FX lens work on a DX body? I have a D5600. I’ve never purchased a lens for it. I’ve just used what it came with.

Just put the FX lens on, and use it.
I use the FX 70-200/4, 50/1.8, and a bunch of old FF film lenses on my DX D7200.
In your case, you just have to make sure that the lens is an AF-S or AF-P lens. The lens has to have a built-in autofocus motor, for the D5600.

It is the reverse (a DX lens on a FX camera), that does not work or not work well.

Its sharp at about 55-135mm. It definitely gets a bit soft above that point.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back