What's new

Opinions on a half moon?

When i said to sharpen after you resize, i meant to resize then sharpen, not resize, sharpen and then crop lol.
Hence the confusion :P


Your cropped posted version is 747x514, this is the size you should sharpen then post on here and sharpen should be the last thing you do...
So Cropping comes first, then everything else, then sharpen just before saving... Got it!
 
The cropped version is way better... to me it doesn't add much to the picture to have black space on the side... As for the exposure, it seems a little soft... maybe the contrast, maybe its blur for the low shutter speed or hand movement... did you use a tripod or handheld?

Take a look to the thread about the super moon, there are some nice examples there... or if you'd like browse through my posts, I uploaded one a couple months ago.

Regards,
LizardKing
 
I had the camera sitting on a table and had the front of it propped up. So as for the softness, it might be due to my inexperience

Shutter: 1/50
F:8.0
ISO:80

Maybe one of those settings could have been better?
 
Maybe someone more experienced can tell what went wrong or what caused this softness... I think its the slow shutter speed, but it could be a lot of things, maybe combined in this case... Next time try to use f/9 or whatever the sweet-spot for your lens is... Maybe increase the ISO a couple of steps so you can also increase the shutter speed to a slower one... by the way, what lens were you using here? Maybe its because of that.

Here you have the photo I told you... you can see the settings are pretty much the same: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-gallery/282043-moonshot.html

Regards,
LizardKing
 
Unfortunately f/8 is the highest it will go. As far as what lens: its whats on it. This is the camera im using (specs at the bottom) Canon launches PowerShot SX130 IS superzoom: Digital Photography Review

So in many ways im limited because its not a DSLR camera. But I think it came out soft because im still learning how to fine tune the combination of F Stop, shutter speed and ISO.

Nice moonshot. I think once I am finally able to upgrade to a DSLR camera, I will have enough experience with my Canon to be able to take pictures like that.
 
Oh! My bad, the model is in your signature... Anyway, those cameras are really nice... Couple of months ago met a guy who had one really similar and they are great for their size and price... Then that's (most likely) the explanation for the softness.

Its not hard at all to take a good picture of the moon with a DSLR and proper lens... so if you managed to take this one with that camera, you shouldnt have any problems with a DSLR. And, of course, all you learn with this camera will help you take better pics with the DSLR when you get it... I used my Nikon P80 for years and that helped me a lot when I finally was able to buy a DSLR.

Have a nice day!

Regards,
LizardKing
 
Oh! My bad, the model is in your signature... Anyway, those cameras are really nice... Couple of months ago met a guy who had one really similar and they are great for their size and price... Then that's (most likely) the explanation for the softness.
Yes, unfortunately it still has its limitations, but I figured it was about as close as I could get to a DSLR camera until I can actually afford a DSLR with a couple lenses for myself.



Its not hard at all to take a good picture of the moon with a DSLR and proper lens... so if you managed to take this one with that camera, you shouldnt have any problems with a DSLR. And, of course, all you learn with this camera will help you take better pics with the DSLR when you get it... I used my Nikon P80 for years and that helped me a lot when I finally was able to buy a DSLR.
That is exactly what im trying to do (and hopefully achieve) with this one. If I can learn all the nuances of F/Stop, shutter speed and ISO combinations, as well as develop a good eye for composition plus learn how to use proper angles of light and shadow all with this camera, then I will be that much better when it comes to a DSLR camera.

So for everyone who see's my pictures on here, please keep in mind that my camera is not a DSLR, thus has its restrictions (aside from me being a total amateur on top of that). ;)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom