Opinions on good ultracompact camera?

JClishe

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Casio Exilim EX-Z40 ultra compact camera that's about 5 years old. It stays in my laptop bag and is always with me whenever I travel, it's my emergency backup camera for when I want a pic better than a cell phone camera but don't have my DSLR with me. I also will occasionally carry it around in my pocket when I'm out somewhere with my wife or whole family and want a camera that I can fit into my pocket.

I'm looking to replace the Casio. My only real requirement is that it needs to be small, thin, and light. Needs to fit into the pocket of my blue jeans. Having said that, I want something with the best photo quality possible (obviously) and also allows as much manual control as possible.

Any thoughts?

Jason

Price range?

The ones that have the most features directly aimed at "the photographer" are the Canon G11, S90 and Panasonic LX3. Each of the 3 have their adv/dis. I'd recommend the S90 as it is the smallest of the group.

I was hoping to stay under $250 or so but I've taken a look at the S90 based on recommendations, and it looks pretty compelling. My only concern is the thickness. At 1.2", it's thicker than my .9" Casio and every little bit matters for something that I plan on putting in the pocket of my blue jeans. But, I do have to say that I like the manual controls of the S90.

Anyone aware of anything that has the manual controls like the S90 but is thinner?

You need to choose... High end P&S (Better features/IQ) or ultra-Compact P&S

I'm afraid.. its going to be a "Can't have your cake and eat it too...." type discussions.

I'm afraid.. its going to be a "Can't have your cake and eat it too...." type discussions.

Well why not, dammit. That's what I want. :)

For the simple reason that a more compact camera means a smaller sensor. A smaller sensor means more picture noise and less resolution.

skieur

For those that care, I ended up going with the S90.

My original requirement was that the camera needed to be as small as possible so that I could easily take it with me wherever I go. (Can't take photo's if I don't a camera). But after thinking about it more I came to the conclusion that cell phone cameras are going to keep getting better, so if my only requirement is simply to have a camera with me at all times, well, my cell phone already meets that requirement.

Plus, I was really interested in all of the features packed into the S90, and to be honest it is still a very tiny camera all things considered and almost meets my original requirement of being able to stuff into the back pocket of my blue jeans (I can, just depends on how tight the jeans are).

Thanks for all the recommendations, this is a great little camera!

Jason

Most reactions

New Topics

Back