opinions on Tamron 15-30

Seventen

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have found myself in search of a lens to suit the area, Currently I am using the Tamron 10-24mm Normally around the 15mm plus zone as under that I cant see anything unless in live view and the Nikkor 35mm for these wider angle shots in small venues, I have not really tried to get into photography more than just showing Aurora images and shots of nature etc. But people keep asking me for events now. Which is nice but the events are held in tiny venues the 35mm can be too wide most of the time as so close to people and they want shots that show many people, so my landscape lens saves the day.
However I have recently been looking for the perfect lens something that can cover most of this range I shoot in eliminating 1 lens from my bag. And this lens I think will be a nice addition to the Nikkor 50mm and the Tamron 90mm VC.
I have somewhat gone of track here..

The point I am asking is does anyone have any opinions on this 15 - 30mm? I will be using it with the Nikon D7200 so experiences with DX camera would be appreciated much more. I have watched a lot of videos and I love this lens but a video is not the same as asking someone who is not just reviewing but using it as part of there equipment.

Thank you in advance.

The tamron 15-30 is a fullframe designed lens. You should be able to get that kind of cover in a much cheaper lighter package for your d7200. Having said this from the reviews I have seen and the pictures all over tyhe net the lens looks like a fine job.

Do you need 15, because a sigma 17-50mm OS might do the trick at a fraction of the price, then there is Nikons new 16-80 f2.8-4, just giving some options that might save money and be an all around more flexible buy.

Tokina do a 12-28mm lens also, but that is f4, so maybe not fast enough. If 18 was wide enough the sigma 18-35 f1.8 is a great bit of kit

I have not really liked the 17 to 50 lenses have tried a few of them and have never really been happy with any. Also I avoid Sigma at all costs now. I had just 1 Sigma lens in the past and I hated it and have always been happy with Tamron, so have purchased all my lenses now Either Tamron or Nikkor.
Tokina is worth a look but would prefer at least a 2.8 through out. Also I would like it to be wide enough for Aurora, 15 is still not that amazing compared to 10 but is quality is better than wideness then I am more than happy to loose a little.
I actually have the 28-75mm Tamron but its rather soft under f4 so its used as a backup or smaller group shots with flash as that helps a lot but without flash its bad, but in time I would go for the Tamron 24-70 2.8 so Nikon one is not so great fitting especially that I will prefer the faster lenses to be in the collection one day.
I know its suited for full frame the one I am interested in but really in long run if I ever go full frame it maybe less to get it now. although by the time I can afford full frame the lens would be replaced :)

I don't mean to sound negative to your comments and glad you gave some more options and I will be having a closer look at this Nikon one even though its not a fixed apeture.

thank you.

The tamron 15-30 is a fullframe designed lens. You should be able to get that kind of cover in a much cheaper lighter package for your d7200. Having said this from the reviews I have seen and the pictures all over tyhe net the lens looks like a fine job.

Do you need 15, because a sigma 17-50mm OS might do the trick at a fraction of the price, then there is Nikons new 16-80 f2.8-4, just giving some options that might save money and be an all around more flexible buy.

Tokina do a 12-28mm lens also, but that is f4, so maybe not fast enough. If 18 was wide enough the sigma 18-35 f1.8 is a great bit of kit

I suppose I shouldn't comment having no direct experience with the lens, just wanted to point out the fullframe aspects and cost etc- but you had a handle on this.

Evertything I've read and seen shows the tamron to be excellent, and if you think fullframe is in your future then I'd think you can't go wrong. Attached is a link that has a few user reviews (not to technical ), with some images at the bottom, it's worth a look, they look great.

Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 VC USD : Specifications and Opinions [JuzaPhoto]

I don't know I really didnt want to go full frame. I really like the d7200 I tried the d610 recently and I felt like this was not a camera for me I don't know but I felt I would be making a downgrade. So I would be looking towards the d750 range which I think is something I can never have at least with my current situation.

I think I am just more annoyed really about the Tamron 10 - 24 it really can't focus at all so I have to use it in manual and though that is fine I just can't see well enough at 10mm to focus on people unless I do it in live view and zoom in.
But I was at an event last week where it was practically a shed with about 100 people packed in, the wide shots were great but they wanted posed shots too so the 35mm was really needed. The gap between 24 and 35 just felt huge on this occasion. The perfect lens has still not been made for me and if they made it I wouldnt not buy it because it would be a load of rubbish.

Thanks for the link! and your comments are very much appreciated. Maybe I am getting to far ahead of myself and thinking quality over quantity at least making my load much easier to carry around and actually have a more useful length in these tight places.

A cheaper option may be to buy a lens that is better than your 10-24 and put it on something like a d3100 and use your 35mm on your d7200 with a dual camera strap. I dunno but it might make things easier.

I have the 5100 and actually use that with the 50mm as that takes great images with that lens, I tried with the wider ones and even the 35mm and I am not happy with it so its ready for them shots that are use the 50mm which comes up a lot. It is very rare I need to use the 9omm Macro for longer shots as places are so small but its good for close ups and well them times I need that length.

A cheaper option may be to buy a lens that is better than your 10-24 and put it on something like a d3100 and use your 35mm on your d7200 with a dual camera strap. I dunno but it might make things easier.

Seems like you have a good compliment of gear. I'm surprised the 35 doesn't work well with the d5100. Maybe you can jingle your lenses around and see what works best with what. You might not need to spend anything then.

Good luck whichever way you go, someone might come along and have a much better idea

The Nikkor 35 is actually broken well is meant to be broken, thats why I got the 28-75 as a backup which gets used but there is no internal focus motor on this. The AF on the 35 was rather dodgy and wouldnt hit perfect I fine tuned it on the 7200 and its fine. When I bought this lens used I was mainly using it for astronomy so it was fine for that. It was used and it was cheap so I couldnt say no. But I recently got the Nikkor 50mm for 100 euros new in a sale and its the perfect match for the d5100 I can't fault it.

I actually have everything I need to work well and have an idea how to lighten my bag in the future. By lighten I mean get rid of 2 light lenses and add a huge heavy lens :)
But how things seem and people paying me more now I want a collection to help me obtain them slightly better images. I know its not the equipment but its how you use it, but AF was bought into the world to make things that little bit easier and also if it can lighten my editing work load as the 10 - 24 really is a landscape only lens its perfect for that but for events its fine but need to work on the images a little more than I would say with the 35mm 50mm or 90mm

Most reactions

Back