Opinions on the Tamron 28-200mm LD IF 1:3.8-5.6 72 AF Format Ashperical Zoom Lens

OldManJim

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have an opportunity to acquire one of these as a "walking around" lens for my F5 and/or my 8008. I'm mostly shooting Ilford HP5+ and occasionally Porta. I'm curious about the sharpness and possible flare, so if anyone has any experience, I'd love to hear about it.

In general, the compromise introduced by zooms becomes rather pronounced with a focal range of that magnitude.

I'm not saying this particular lens is a bad one- not personally familiar with it.

Agreed. I have some primes (20mm, 28mm, 90mm) but I find a zoom is more convenient for framing when just walking around.

What i’m trying to learn is whether or not this lens is more of a compromise than i’d Like.

I bought a Tamron 28-270 I think it was, for $100 used in 2006 or 2007 I think it was, and used it on the Nikon D70 and D2x, 6-MP and 12-MP cameras respectively. it was not as sharp as I would have liked, especially at the longer zoom settings, and so I passed it along to a nice lady who loved it for shots of her grandkids, using her D50, another 6MP d-slr, one that had very punchy SOOC JPEGS. But that was the 28-270! I own a Nikon-made 28-200 G, their second 28-200 model I believe it was, much smaller than the earlier 28-200 design. On 6MP D70, the 28-200 G was adequate; on 12MP D2x, I thought the 28-200 G was inadequately sharp.

Tamron was the company that actually _invented_ the triple-extension barrel, according to an article on the 28-200 in Modern Photography, and written by then-editor Herbert Keppler. The triple-extension barrel is part of what made the 28-200 so popular. Keppler himself owned and used and liked the 28-200 Tamrons. It is a super-convenient lens! 28mm to 200mm, with no lens swaps. He liked the fact that lens swaps were simply not needed when this lens was the one being carried on a film camera. Tamron introduced the 28-200 concept and went thru multiple iterations of it, according to Keppler, and each one was better than the prior version.

Thanks for the input. Think I'll save my $$ for a better lens.

Most reactions

Back