Opinions on this lens and teleconverter for wildlife

mikaakim

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Next year I am going on a few trips specifically to take photos. Grizzly bears, Polar bears, moose, cougars. Obviously I need some reach, but am on a budget. For the type of animals I will be shooting requires much distance. So I was looking at a 500mm with a 2X TC giving me 500mm all he way up to an awesome 1000mm which I believe will be plenty (opinions welcome here if you think I need more).

Anyhow, I was looking a this lens and this teleconverter

lens

teleconverter

Could I get some opinions on this set up, and if you think it will provide the perfect amount of reach. Also, is anyone able to provide any examples of the type of shot I will get out of it at 1000mm??

Thanks

Nope....a 2x TC unit with an f/6.3 lens....uhhhhh...no...unless you're going to be shooting in REALLY bright, bright conditions like Mexico in August along the coast where the sun on light sand is blindingly brilliant. The 2x TC unit's loss of two full f/stops from f/6.3 will KILL your autofocusing, and kill your shutter speeds.

Could you recommend a TC for this lens? maybe just the 1.4X?

Last edited:
Sigma makes a 1.4X TC for this lens that loses 1 stop. I use this lens on a nikon and it is pretty decent out to about 450mm then it starts going soft. The 1.4X doesn't seem to affect picture quality too much as opposed to the 2X which tends to soften the whole range. Also, my autofocus works with the 1.4X. I rather use the 1.4 and crop. Like Derrel said, you need a lot of light. You'll have trouble freezing a moving subject, even with a high ISO. I tried using this for sports but it wasn't up to the task, too slow. But, if you're on a budget (like me) and a 400 or 500mm 2.8 0r 4 is just a fantasy, it could make a decent substitute.

Welcome to wildlife - please leave your wallet at the door on your way in - you don't want to hear it crying ;)

Sadly wildlife is expensive equipment wise and getting a longer reach is never cheap. The lens you've listed is already a superzoom so at the 500mm end its already lost some optical quality and chances are you'll want to stop down to f7.1 or f8 just to get that little bit of sharpness back. Add a teleconverter (even 1.4) into the mix and you'll lose even more quality - a 2*TC is far too demanding (the only zooms that can really take a 2*TC are the 70-200mm f2.8 IS L MII from canon - the 70-200mm f2.8 VRII from Nikon - the 120-300mm f2.8 OS from Sigma and the 200-500mm f2.8 from Sigma).

ok, so I will throw it out there for suggestions.

I have about $4000 - $5000 max

Could someone help me pick out my best option to give me the best focal length with keeping IQ.

Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Lens for Canon 137101 B&H Photo

Plus a Sigma 1.4 and 2*teleconverters.

Coastal has some great test shots with this lens http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/nature-wildlife/342849-day-1-testing-sigma-120-300-os.html

Another option is to consider the Canon 300mm f2.8 IS with teleconverters (it will take up to the 2*TC) or the Canon 500mm f4 L. These are both only a little older lenses and only sold second hand but are still outstanding optics and well worth considering. The new MII versions of these lenses are on the market, but breach your max budget limit.

Also consider that you'll want a good gimbal tripod head (like the wimberly) along with a good tripod as sometimes you'll be sitting still for hours for a shot instead of roaming around .

Most reactions

New Topics

Back