Ordered a Sigma 50mm 1.4, haters gonna' hate

Tell me why.. lol. Like I said I havent really done studio work but I will start doing it in a few months after we move to our new house.

I do hate you. Because I'm jealous.

I'll make do with my humble Pentax 50mm f/2.

FWIW - I had an Olympus Zuiko 52mm ? f/1.2 for my OM4, and it was not as good a lens as the f/1.4 or f/1.8.

Curious: What make the Sigma a better lens than the Nikkor? Is this backed up by optical testing or is this more of an emotional statement? I always thought Nikon made better lenses than Sigma...

I agree that 50mm on a full frame is not a lens I use much in my wedding work, I switch between a 20mm and 35mm on one body, and keep the 70-200 on the other body. I am however using my Canon 50mm f1.4 now while I photograph some furniture in studio, it is a useful lens to have in some situations.

I do hate you. Because I'm jealous.

I'll make do with my humble Pentax 50mm f/2.

FWIW - I had an Olympus Zuiko 52mm ? f/1.2 for my OM4, and it was not as good a lens as the f/1.4 or f/1.8.

Curious: What make the Sigma a better lens than the Nikkor? Is this backed up by optical testing or is this more of an emotional statement? I always thought Nikon made better lenses than Sigma...

That 50 you have is nice too.

I always purchase Nikon glass, but many convinced me to buy the Sigma in the 50. Here's one review of many you can search and find just like it:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll consider the Sigma too if I have to choose between Sigma 50 f/1.4 and Nikon 50 f/1.4 AF-S. The Sigma supposedly is better at f/1.4 than Nikon but one has to find a good copy first.

I'll consider the Sigma too if I have to choose between Sigma 50 f/1.4 and Nikon 50 f/1.4 AF-S. The Sigma supposedly is better at f/1.4 than Nikon but one has to find a good copy first.

Sigma has fixed there QA issues of past but if I have a bad copy I'll send it back. On a side note, they also fixed their "flaking paint" prob on the outside of their lenses.

So, 2Wheel, how many haters have you encountered that were hating on your 50?

So, 2Wheel, how many haters have you encountered that were hating on your 50?

Less than I suspected, but i was informed I might not use it per this thread. Between the student discount and NAPP discount it will be "about free rent" if i don't and sell it.

And I'll post up if i do, believe me =)

I'd shoot the Sigma 50mm if it was really 50mm, was about half the size, and didn't have AF issues. Otherwise, it's a great 50mm!

I'd shoot the Sigma 50mm if it was really 50mm, was about half the size, and didn't have AF issues. Otherwise, it's a great 50mm!

What about the Sigma 50mm doesn't make it "really a 50mm"?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back