orthographic again

MRCA

That is an interesting question. I think you might look at civil war era photos . I believe those were orthographic in nature. However, the processes and papers were also different.

Ron, have looked into films used in the 20's and 30's to achieve the look of images of that era.

I haven't shot ortho myself but I do have a couple rolls I am eager to try once the weather/pandemic situation is more amenable to me doing more shooting. I've seen some ortho portraits that I really liked, the skin tones looked a bit darker than standard pan B&W films, and it had a very old-fashioned feel to it.

Ron, keep us posted, it is great how you are thinking outside the box. I just installed a split focusing screen on my Mamiya RB67 and it transformed it for studio, nailing eye focus. Glad to see other folks using film gear.

I posted this is the B&W forum but no one replied. Since I did not know how to cancel the post I am reposting here in the Film section.

I am curious if anyone uses orthographic film?

As I understand it, it is only blue/green light sensitive, and some film seems to be used for photo-copy work.

Are there any advantages to using it
I use ortho film - Fujifilm 4791 Ortho and Kodak 2238 specifically. I like doing so because of the crisp definition I get. I shoot both films at 10-20 ISO, which obviously means they can't be used for all situations. And from my point of view, these films are not well suited for pictures of people. I develop in D76 stock for about 10 minutes, depending on the ISO at which I exposed them. You can often buy these films in bulk and make up your own 35mm cartridges, storing your bulk stock in the freezer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back