Otter encounter!

Arkanjel Imaging

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had the coolest otter encounter this afternoon! I was driving home for lunch and I noticed some activity by a spillway I passed. So I quick whipped a U-turn, threw it into park, grabbed my camera and made way to the canal bank. When they first noticed me they were a little wary. But after about 2 minutes of my coaxing they came right up! Im quite certain they would have taken fish from my hand. There was one adult and two "teenagers".

4927019956_2043ab5da4_z.jpg

4927018938_0dacdf7b6d_z.jpg

Im not real thrilled with the sharpness here. I was rigged for macro work at the time. But I was really happy to have captured the experience. It sure pays to keep a keen eye out and your camera with you at all times. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Oh, you totally lucky one! How I envy you that adventure!
I'd have been so thrilled, my photography would have gone down the drain, only blurred pics, from shake and other mistakes, so exciting would have been the encounter!

Oh, you totally lucky one! How I envy you that adventure!
I'd have been so thrilled, my photography would have gone down the drain, only blurred pics, from shake and other mistakes, so exciting would have been the encounter!

Ive seen plenty of otters in the wild. But they are usually too far away to get with my 18-200mm. I cant believe I got these with my 105mm.There were more than a few oof in the batch to be sure. It was raining out too so very low light. Once they settled down and I knew they werent going to bolt my nerves calmed. Definitely one of the coolest close encounters Ive ever had.

Edit: EXIF says the two shots above were at 2.99m! The came within 3 or 4 feet of my hand.

Otters are cool! We have many near our area, they love to pose for the camera!

Nice shots!

Otters are cool! We have many near our area, they love to pose for the camera!

Nice shots!

Thanks Eric. Im going to try and find them again tomorrow morning. Maybe I can capture them eating some tasty fish.

Thanks again guys. These critters were less than 5 miles from my house. So Ill defintiely be keeping tabs on them. Id like to try and get some HD video next time. I totally forget that my camera even shoots it. Lol.....

I could watch these guys play all day. The really have life figured out!

Most reactions

Back