What's new

Our Parish Church

Ed Bray

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 18, 2011
Messages
88
Reaction score
8
Location
Plymouth, UK
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ParishChurch.jpg
 
I like the colours in this shot, it's an interesting building too. How old is it?
 
I like the colours in this shot, it's an interesting building too. How old is it?

Some information I found earlier.

St. Budeaux Parish Church,

This church sits high on the hill with commanding views of sea and river.

The present church was completed in 1563 just five years after the twenty-five-year old daughter of Henry V111 and Anne Boleyn had become Queen Elizabeth 1. Shortly after this in 1569 (SIr) Francis Drake married Mary Newman here. Drake was a pioneer, a great sea captain of the English Fleet that defeated the Spanish Armada in 1588. King Philip of Spain hated 'El Draco' because of his independent ways. Many would say he was a pirate, but this suited the Queen Elizabeth since he provided them with plundered wealth.


View overlooking Ernesettle, up the river Tamar and over Cornwall from same Camera position as the Church shot but turned approximately 90 degrees to the right.


Tamar-1.jpg
 
Wrong time of day. With the shadows on the building and headstones, one's eye is drawn to the well-lit grass, which is the least important thing in the photo. The composition and perspective are good, although I'd prefer that the bottom of the headstone in the center weren't cut off - just go back when the sun is behind you or on a cloudy day.
 
That's a very pretty village. I find the history very interesting, too. On my grandmother's side of the family tree, I have ancestors from the Devon area from that time. I'm not sure where they were exactly, but it's fun to imagine that they lived there!
 
Believe it or not, I prefer the bw to the coloured version.
Thanks for showing!

Regards,

Joe
 
That's a nice looking village and that church does look old based from the facade's color and texture. I also like the B&W version of this image.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom