What's new

Out For A Sunday Stroll

Today you would need to have skis around me to do a sunday stroll. I wonder if he or she is immune to people now
 
Today you would need to have skis around me to do a sunday stroll. I wonder if he or she is immune to people now
We live in the middle of 40 acres of woods, plus neighboring woods on three sides, so no people around for him to be exposed to. They're generally non-aggressive unless you get to close, and usually meander away from you quickly. This one didn't which was a little concerning.
 
We live in the middle of 40 acres of woods, plus neighboring woods on three sides, so no people around for him to be exposed to. They're generally non-aggressive unless you get to close, and usually meander away from you quickly. This one didn't which was a little concerning.
I heard some rustling about, just outside of my bedroom window, one night so I got up to see what it was about. Found two of them on top of my fence having some sort of standoff. I shooed them away and they just slowly walked away...not concerned with my presence in the least.
 
@Jeff15 here in our area they're colloquially called "Possums", though technically they are N. American Opossums with a hairless tail. Some say Appalachian Possum Stew is good, though Ive never "knowingly" tried it.🙄
 
I know a lot of people think they're hideous, but I think Virginia opossums are really cute. Did you know that due to their low body temperature it is very rare for them to contract rabies? They have a slight immunity to pit viper venom (rattlesnakes and cottonmouths). They also often play dead instead of fleeing from people, and shows of aggression (typically just hissing and drooling) are most often a bluff. That said, it's still probably best not to handle them lol.
 
Last edited:
That said, it's still probably best not to handle them
Yup, they have a lot of teeth and given their opportunistic diet, a mouth full of bacteria, a bite can very easily lead to infections.
 
Adorable. I happen to think they're wonderful, and it's their general mellow, slow moving nature that I like.

We have them around up here, too - not nearly as many as we had in Texas. In Texas we used to put out half an apple each night and sit on the deck and watch one waddle over and get it, then waddle off to the shrubbery to munch away.

Cheap entertainment. :lol:
 
Adorable. I happen to think they're wonderful, and it's their general mellow, slow moving nature that I like.

We have them around up here, too - not nearly as many as we had in Texas. In Texas we used to put out half an apple each night and sit on the deck and watch one waddle over and get it, then waddle off to the shrubbery to munch away.

Cheap entertainment. :lol:
I want one. I know better because I am not equipped to care for a wild animal, but I've met domesticated rescues, and they're very sweet. They're pudgey, the waddle is adorable, they're affectionate, and they drool when they're really happy. They also keep themselves very clean.

I know I'm kinda going on and on about them, but I just really love these animals.
 
I want one. I know better because I am not equipped to care for a wild animal, but I've met domesticated rescues, and they're very sweet. They're pudgey, the waddle is adorable, they're affectionate, and they drool when they're really happy. They also keep themselves very clean.

I know I'm kinda going on and on about them, but I just really love these animals.
I'm a big fan, as well! Apparently a lot of folks out there have domesticated them, so they're quite trainable.
 
@DanOstergren & @terri Over the years growing up on a farm there was always an assortment of critters, but never any possums. I raised a few litters of skunks back in the early 60s, once the Kits were descented they made great pets, easily bringing a couple hundred each. Also had a couple of raccoons, that lived in a converted dog house and had free roam.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom