Outdoor fashion photography - Harsh light (Canon 7D with EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM)

zambesi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there,

I used my Canon 7D with EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM lens to photograph clothing, though found the harsh bright outdoor light difficult to work with (I am used to photography with low indoor light). Could anyone please advise me on exactly what settings I should consider with my camera in relation to harsh outdoor light? It is important with fashion photography to pick up on the details of the fashion garments but as you can see this photo does not show the garment very well at all, and half of the models face has been shadowed while the other half is exposed harshly in the light.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated for my future reference!

$photoforum.jpg

There is no setting that can change anything about this, except maybe if you use a camera with high dynamic range and then use HDR programs (but you very likely cant do multiple shots like with normal picture taking) to attempt to "fix" them.

However, the usual technique to handle harsh lights are:
(a) avoid it, step into the shadow
(b) use flash to fill the dark [and preferably keep the sun in the back of your model] or
(c) use reflectors to lighten the dark parts of the models face

The basic solutions as mentioned above are to use strobed light (flash), and/or open shade, and reflectors. The Sun is an apparently small light source. Small light sources produce harsh light and sharply edged, unattractive, harsh shadows.

The advantages of using strobed light are:
  • more control over the intensity and direction of the light.
  • the light source can be modified to be apparently larger (softer light, diffuse, soft, flattering shadow edges)
  • shutter speed can be used to control the ambient light exposure in the scene separately from the strobed light exposure in the scene.
  • strobe light power setting and lens aperture control the strobed light exposure separately from the ambient light exposure.
  • separation of the subject from the background by use of a strobed light/ambient lighting ratio.
Open shade is solid shade. The subject is placed in the shade near the edge of the shade so the open blue sky that doesn't have the Sun in it effectively becomes your main (key) light. However, because the Sun is blocked by whatever is making the shade the light is more blue than when the subject is in direct sunlight.

Avoid dappled sunlight (partial shade).

With some relatively inexpensive, or even home made, equipment you can make your own open shade wherever, and whenever you need it.

Light Science and Magic, Fourth Edition: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting

Minimalist Lighting: Professional Techniques for Location Photography

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Strobes can work well, but are not a necessity, I think it's better to start out with natural light and move on to artificial later. Back to the situation at hand, what time did you go out? Ideally, editorial photographers avoid the harsh light of 12 o clock, when the sun is at it's strongest. When location spotting, always find a place with some shade as well. I've asked many of my fashion photographer friends (professionals!) what times of day are best and I've gotten "just before sunset, sunrise (for cool light, kind of like how KmH said) but done before 11 AM..." but any time of day can be good as long as you avoid the blown highlights harsh light can cause.

I'd say, first find the location you are going to shoot at, then observe how light takes places at different times of day on that area, it should help you see which time would be your preference. Then do some test shoots :) Hope this helps.

*also suggest reading some books on (natural) light

Like already stated, get out of that horrid light and get into some shade. Unless it's unavoidable (outdoor wedding/event), I never shoot under the sun.

www.rhinobldg.com

Last edited:
A 60" disk diffuser would probably work very well for the results you are desiring.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this before
me.

A 60" disk diffuser would probably work very well for the results you are desiring.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this before
me.

Someone did, but in a less specific way.

With some relatively inexpensive, or even home made, equipment you can make your own open shade wherever, and whenever you need it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back