Outdoor group photo

portrait24

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello group, I will be attempting to take an outdoor group photo for the first time of about 20 people. I have (2) 400 watt strobes with (2) 24" softboxes, also (2) 40" white umbrellas. It will be in the early evening and I will have to shoot with the low sun behind the group, assuming its not an overcast day. Because of the sun I will have to use what I have available for lighting. Can I get some advise please on whether I should use the boxes, umbrellas or just direct flash using the reflectors. Also, what is the best way to meter outdoors. Any help will be appreciated.
:thumbup:

Are they going to be tightly packed or spread out like a boy band cd cover?

Umbrellas or just the standard parabolic reflectors. Make sure the light source is high enough that the shadows fall downward, so there are not shadows cast on the faces or torsos of people who are close to one another. Do you have a 13-foot light stand? I hope so.

I would not attempt to light this group, but that doesn't mean it's not an option. I would position the group directly between me and the sun, with the light hitting the group, against a dark background like a tree line or large building, and expose for the faces. That would provide a nice rim light and good exposure. The principle behind this is if the background is dark and you expose for the faces, the rim light pops without blowing out the background. If you have an open or bright background, it will be blown out and the rim light will be lost. Cliff Mautner is well known for this technique and you can see it on his site and blog.

If you attempt to place faces in the sun, you'll have to compete with harsh shadows and squinting subjects. I would not try to overpower the sun with a group this size. However, in my example, you could attempt to add some fill light by setting the strobes to about 10 to 30 percent fill using a flash meter like the Sekonic L-358, or use concrete or another large building as a bounce card. You could also place the group in shade and then you have the option to use your lights as main or fill. The best way to meter? For me it's manual when possible.

Most reactions

Back