Outdoor Photo shoot w/o flash

Markus234

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello there,

I have a photoshoot on tuesday with a friend of mine as part of a college assignment and was hoping for a bit of advice.

The setting is the peel area around a loch, and the palace beside it.

My problem is that I don't have a flash, I can't spare the cash for one yet, and would like some advice on how to best go about the shoot using only natural light.

Cheers

You can do a lot without a flash. Bring a reflector with you to fill shadows. It can be as simple as a piece of white poster board.

^^ yeah. If you glue some aluminum foil to the opposite side, you can get a more contrasty bounce of light as a comparison, different feel.

Not sure if you have the cash but a simple double sided reflector (silver/gold) will be something nice to have for a long time. Check one out at a local camera shop and see if they have any in your budget range.

I love using flash to balance outdoor light - it also helps to not "blow out" the sun. You can expose for the subject and the background at the same time

if you are on a real tight budget, the fold up auto window cover things work well in a pinch. get the silver one not the black, but the black ones can be used to reduce/defuse the harsh light from the sun as well.

Most reactions

Back