Outdoor Portrait-1st attempt with fill flash

PixiePix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
DSC_0211copy-1.jpg
Trying to work with an overexposed pic..any suggestions?
DSC_0257copy.jpg

Nice work on the eyes.

I would suggest try getting the flash off the camera. Also try using the Flash comp and exposure compensation.

fill flash is used to compensate the underexposure under available light situations....u can use reflector or fill flash....if ur photographs are totally dependent upon flash then flash is the main light...

first is one stop over and second is correctly exposed.

Definately need to difuse the light alot or move it off from the camera. White dots in the eyes where black should be. Pose and composition is not bad at all on the second. In the first I would have shot less grass.

Since you just said fill flash, I'm guessing you're using the onboard flash. That being said, there are these little baggie-looking things you can buy that slide over the flash. They're usually made out of a thin white material (mesh or something). And what it does is soften the light.

Since you can't (I'm guessing) go off-camera, I'd say this will be your best bet. Also avoid backgrounds that are far away from the subject when using camera flash. Otherwise your background will be underexposed and sometimes the computer in the camera will overly brighten the subject, thinking, "Alright, this photo has the right amount of light and dark."

Lastly, try adjusting the aperture in the first one to blur the background more (smaller number, like f4 or so). If you have a point-and-shoot, though, this won't work nearly as well. If that's the case what you have is probably your best bet.

By far, I like the second one. Good job if you're using the camera flash. If not, try positioning the flash in other places, and remember to have fun!

Most reactions

Back