Outdoor wedding photography lighting

Kimbalina81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi!

I will be photographing a good friend's very small, very informal, outdoor backyard wedding in a couple of short weeks, and just learned that the ceremony will be held at 11:00 in the morning. I'd imagine that this is the time when the light is somewhat harsh, and in preparation for that, was wondering what is recommended to decrease shadows, harsh lighting, etc. I have an on camera flash, and I'd like to just go with the worst case scenario, which is that it will be bright and sunny with no cloud cover. Any suggestions?

K

How many people in the wedding including guests?

What lenses do you have?

What flash model do you have?

With only an onboard flash it might be diffcult as your limited to what the flash can cover. Given that this is small wedding with the hopes that the one conducting the wedding will be flexible with your positioning as a photographer, you maybe able to light up your subjects however be limited to only close ranges.

Scope out the place at 11:00 and see how the light falls during this time. This will give you an idea on what your up against. I hate to recommend new equipment for you since it seems you will only be doing this help out a friend.

The ideal scenario is to hire a pro but I don't know if that is a possibility.

Hi!

I will be photographing a good friend's very small, very informal, outdoor backyard wedding in a couple of short weeks, and just learned that the ceremony will be held at 11:00 in the morning. I'd imagine that this is the time when the light is somewhat harsh, and in preparation for that, was wondering what is recommended to decrease shadows, harsh lighting, etc. I have an on camera flash, and I'd like to just go with the worst case scenario, which is that it will be bright and sunny with no cloud cover. Any suggestions?

K

scoping the location & surrounding area are a must, try arrange the standard group photo done at shade area, such as the side wall of the house. Some houses has nice brick wall that turn into a wonderful backdrop.
You can also use a reflector or soft umbrella. these two equipments are quite cheap, especially reflector, you can even DIY by using dollar shop material.
Avoid posing the couple face toward the sun to avoid squinty eyes. Backlit should be avoid at such period of time.

i would take the couple and their bestman bridemaids to somewhere close and shoot wedding photo, I can choose somewhere close by and pose them properly. This way I can be assure to have some decent photos, plus the photo you did inside their house, and the couple should be very glad.
Just try your best, your friends will appreciate after they see you running all around, up and down in trying to capture their special moment.

If its overcast, just shoot availible light

What equipments you have, what lens and flash? you can also use the FP high Flash Syncho.

I have a Canon Speedlite 270EX flash and a Sigma 50-200mm f/4.0-5.6 lens (which I've been recommended to not use as it doesn't allow for as much light or speed). I also have a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 lens, but I'm concerned about the lack of zoom capability. I doubt that I will be able to scope the wedding place much earlier before the actual wedding- I am traveling the night before and may only be able to get there a few hours before the actual ceremony.

As I mentioned, it will be a very small wedding- no wedding party, literally only the bride, groom, their three kids (ages 7, 5, and 2 months), bride's parents, groom's parents, maybe the bride's brother, and the groom's brother. That's it.

My friend (the bride mentioned that she only wants ceremony pics and a couple of pics afterwards. Would the flash that I've got work for the lighting conditions (assuming sunny?). Any other smaller accessories that I might be able to purchase that would help out?

Thanks again for all your help.

K

I'd just stick with the 50 TBH. last wedding I shot, I shot almost the entire with with a 50.

From the looks of it I think you will just have enough for fill light with your 270 flash and but I don't think you won't be able to eliminate all shadows on a worst case scenario of harsh light. With that small of a party, switch called it and stick with the 50. If it's that intimate of a number, If I were you(and if possible) as another option I would try to squeeze in a reflector and go with natural/ambient light.

Ouside, at mid-day and bright sunlight, the Sigma 50-200 mm will be more than able to gather enoough light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back