Outex Waterproof Casing Test!

AdventuresInMyTrustyBoots

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Today was a super exciting day for me. For several years, I've been dying to take some photos underwater. I tried out a few point and shoot camera from family and didn't care much for them. So I finally bit the bullet after reading lots of reviews and bought an Outex Waterproof case! It arrived last week, and today I was able to go and test it out. The casing that I ordered fits both my Nikon D810 and my D750. I ordered flat port, but plan on eventually getting a Dome Port.

I tried it out on my D750 today. We headed out to a lovely little river ,The Tseax, that has nice clear water, some fast moving and some slow. There is moss and plants that grow in it and the water is a nice colour. I was hoping to see some fish, but they weren't around.

I am very inexperienced in UW photography, so this is new.
The camera wasn't as hard as I had read to get into the case. I took a few practice runs at home first. I used the camera in manual mode, with auto ISO since the sun was in and out of clouds. I used my kit lens, the 24-120mm. You can't see the buttons through the covering so you have to remember where they are by feel. There's a port at the back of the camera so you can use your LCD screen. I didn't use the screen however. Since it's still cold here, I just put my hands in the water and guessed what I was shooting at. I used Continuous shooting, so I could fire it off as I put the camera into the water. I think the Auto ISO sometimes made the ISO higher then I would have liked causing some noise. It is a little hard to change through the casing though, so I left it. Also I think when I was in faster water, my shutter speed was a little slow for moving plants. Maybe my aperature was too big? Like I say, I'm a newbie.

The case worked perfectly, my camera stayed nice and dry. The case provides some buoyancy.

If you are unfamiliar with the Outex, here's their website: DSLR Waterproof Camera Cover and Case | Outex

Here are some of my first attempts at Underwater Photography. I can't wait to try it out on Salmon, especially when they are spawning.

I would be grateful for any tips from more experienced people.

DSC_0984 by Jen Philippe, on Flickr

DSC_0987 by Jen Philippe, on Flickr

DSC_0995 by Jen Philippe, on Flickr

DSC_1100 by Jen Philippe, on Flickr

DSC_1364 by Jen Philippe, on Flickr

DSC_1299 by Jen Philippe, on Flickr

Took a photo just at water level. There was water on the lens, but it worked out anyways.
DSC_1278 by Jen Philippe, on Flickr

Cool! Looks your gonna have a lot of fun with that setup.

Hey, cool. Seems to work pretty well. Oughtta' be good for the spawning salmon later in the year.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back