Over-Exposed

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by ORourkeK, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    If this is their signature style and it appears they are going for the light, bright, and airy look. Which in my opinion can look quite beautiful

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ORourkeK

ORourkeK No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Derrel, it looks as though you started and ended mid-thought. :1247:

3. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Or this ---> . is missing! Maybe Derrel lost his dot.

You're right, the exposure is bad. I don't know why this washed out look is popular, but this too will pass (maybe? someday??). Trends and fads come and go and time will tell when people get tired of this one if these photographers can take properly exposed images and stay in business or not.

Of course it sometimes can be done well; Vtec uses the landscape or background along with a somewhat brighter lighter look without going overboard.

4. Fujidave

Fujidave Blue eyed and Beautiful

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think it is just their own style, we all have a style I think that we may do some will like it and some might not. Just having a look on the link and I actually like the images, at the moment I`m going through my own style of keeping some vocalist/band shots at an angle ( Dutch Angle ) as I think it can make an image better.

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Dutch tilt making a still photo better… You might want to reconsider that… In the eyes of many, that is a cinema trick, or a newbie move… I get what you're saying but it's like selective color… While it appeals to a certain segment of the population, many people do not feel that Dutch tilt is that valid a form of expression… Of course you are free to make your own decisions, but I'm just here to tell you that dutch tilt is looked upon with a certain degree of shall
    we say underappreciation…

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Well, think about it for a minute, who mostly influences the decision on the photographer on a wedding. Is it the bride or the groom??? The bride wants that light, airy look, while the groom might lean more toward the dark and gloomy. LOL All kidding aside it does remain a more popular look for the genre, and for certain applications I prefer the approach.

"The course I am taking they teach to expose for the skin, and not to worry about the background." One thing people forget about portraits, is that the person is the biggest priority, the environment is nice, but I guarantee that bride considers herself the most important element of the composition. Skin color in general can vary substantially in it's reflectivity, necessitating EV adjustments that may or may not equal the environment. So which one do you want exposed properly, the bride's face or the background? IE for a fair skinned person you might have to add +1-1.5 EV to your meter reading to get a properly exposed face with creamy skin, half that for a medium skin tone, and 0 or maybe even - on extremely dark skin. Having a face to the bright side helps to cure a lot of blemishes and tonal variations. That's not to say you can't have an acceptable exposure across the image, by taking the appropriate steps to narrow the DR of the scene, you can show as much or little as your vision demands.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Smoke pretty much nailed it. There is a reason for the light, bright, airy look… In fact more than one reason!

8. Fujidave

Fujidave Blue eyed and Beautiful

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don`t actually do it to all my images, just a couple every now and then on some jazz shots in B&W.

9. Soocom1

Soocom1 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Pintrist.

Go look at the various wedding and engagement posts, and look at what prevails.

Social media.

10. paigew

paigew Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I do not think these images are over exposed. They look perfectly expose to me, with perfectly exposed skin and perfect skin tones/wb. While this photographer does have a lighter/airy style, that is not why the background is blown. The sky is blown because the photography chose to expose it that way in order to get the look of the skin/ overall exposure. Yes they could have used flash, but there are many successful photographers that shoot this way (me included).

In my opinion, the sky can be blown and it does not take away from the image. I have printed many photos with the sky blown and it prints great. Think about it, if you are staring at a person who has their back to the sun...the sky is freaking "blown out". It's the way our own eyes see, so to me, I don't have an issue bringing that into my images. I tend to use an exposure and wb that I see in real life for my images and I'm not sure there is anything "wrong" with this. It's my style, my art, and I like it that way.

Something to consider is knowing the rules (blown sky = bad) and know when to break them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

11. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Like a lot of trends, it's really an 'Emperor's New Clothes' scenario. People "like" something, be it clothing, or photographic style because they think they're supposed to, or because they're told it's good.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

I know your work and value your opinions, so let me ask you a question. Disregard styles, trends, etc., you have a bride who has some skin blemishes, maybe some tonal variations, in an environmental shot, would you:
    • Expose the face to the light side, at the expense of the background.?(Assuming you can't move or otherwise balance the DR).
    • Expose for a better overall exposure, and clean up the blemishes post?

• Like Like x 1