Overbought Equipment?

there's no reason to buy the megapixels.

You do not pay for the extra megapixels in this case, actually 12.8MP make hardly any difference over say 10 MP. You pay for the large sensor, this is what makes this camera more expensive than others.

2. A variety of high quality lenses can increase your range and capabilities more than an expensive camera body. (Instead of a 5D, you could buy a Rebel, get the built in lens and buy two L series lenses or a handful of higher quality lenses to complete the package).
Of course a 5D only makes real sense if you get the 5D and very good lenses.

mirror lockup for example
Precisely, very important feature, and so is precise spot metering, good higher ISO performance.

And for those really tough all weather people maybe a rugged professional camera is appropriate - but I'm very sure that most cameras are tougher than most people when it comes to getting up early, trampling through swamps, and bumping into wild animals.
All cameras I owned so far and own are certainly less tough than I myself. And this is a problem regularly, as I put them to the test and spend weeks outside in all horrible weather conditions, fording rivers, sliding down mud-slopes and getting stuck in the swamps. Weather sealing of the 5D is actually quite poor compared to the 1-series. The only reason I did not decide for a 1-series camera is the size. The 5D is much less bulky and way lighter, which helps outdoor.

Unless you have the means and the reasons to purchase at this level (or higher), I think the 5D is an overbuy!
True ...
But this is a trivial statement!

I works like this
Unless you have the means and the reasons to purchase at this level (or higher), I think the XX is an overbuy!
for EVERYTHING. Just replace XX with anything not essential for survival (food, clothing, ...), and the statement holds true.

B+W 092 IR Filter.

Bought the B+W 093 IR Filter a month or two later, now I never use the 092 (092 lets in some visible light, 093 only lets IR thru).

Well I guess any photo equipment is overspend, as I am an amateur. BUT I enjoy it, and I have 2x20ds and a 5d and several lenses including the 24-70 f2.8 and the 70-200 2.8 is. The thing is, I am retired now, having worked away from home for 22 years on the Alaska pipeline. I am not looking to leave my kids any money, they will divide the funds from selling my property. I want to enjoy what is left of my life, and I greatly enjoy nice equipment, so what the heck. And I DO enjoy my nice cameras and lenses. When one of the 20Ds goes south I will be getting a 40D replacement. Thats just the way I am.

I bought a Nikon 70-200VR 2.8 and a 85 1.8 for practical uses I do not think I should have bought the 85 as the focal length is covered in the 70-200 but I guess while I write this I figure I did only pay around $250 for the 85 it is a good lens to have when I do not want to lug my beast around. So forget I made this post. Isn't it great when someone has a minor epiphany right as they are posting?!?!?!.

HI there Mich Tan, while you are there ask how the natives feel about having been taken over and having had their religious leaders kicked out of the country and replaced by employees of the government that invaded them. Be sure to take photos of their reactions. ;)

Edition with sentence added by LaFoto:
Mike, as you can see, Mich Tan's post is no longer here. That is why your reply now no longer makes much sense. I thought I'd best clarify that for you and all the other readers! :D

Btw I know the guy was clearly a spammer but it's probably best not to get political... talk of invasions and native reactions = can of worms for everyone etc :)

ZaphodB, while we can not clearly establish such conclusion from the post, it sure was quite random, jumbled, out of place and therefore went away.
The second of your observations, though, is quite true and "can of worms" sure is the right expression. Such discussions should be lead on political discussion forums.

Thanks LaFoto. Admittedly I couldn't say for certain that it was spam... but the fact that he told us all about the nice tripods made by a friend of the family before asking us to email him made it a little suspicius ;)

Back on topic, Nikkor 35mm f/2.8 PC shift lens. Great lens, but not used since version 7.0 (I think) of Photoshop with perspective adjustment.

Ok, my "overbought" equipment comes with a big caveat... I use the lens often and it takes great pictures.

Having said all that... I would put my Nikon 105 VR Macro on the list, simply because I wish I had purchased the OLDER version of the lens (the one Garbz has) instead of the more expensive and heavy VR version. The older one has better AF (the VR version hunts a lot in low light... I mean a LOT...), and has at least as good of optical quality (some say better) for about half the price. The older 105 Macro isn't an AF-S lens, so it won't autofocus on my D40 like the VR will... but on the other hand, I always end up turning off the autofocus when using macro anyway (not to mention the fact that the lack of depth-of-field preview on the D40 makes it a poor choice for macro work... I end up using a D80 for macro anyway). The second generation VR is nice for lots of things, but doesn't work very well for Macro.

I do use it, it is a fine lens that takes stunning pictures... I just wish I had saved the bucks and bought an older used non-VR one in great condition.

With that said...

Another item I'd say is on my personal overbought list..
Leica M6 Titanium. I'm perfectly happy with my M3 and Epson R-d1.

Will I sell it... hell no!

Most reactions

Back