Overcast day, portrait of a girl.

Pleasetakeitkind

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
steve208.jpg

Id suggest to edit out the imperfections on her face with photoshop, if you have it.

Did you crop it?
I think you cropped it a little too much for me, but I like how the background is blurry.

Holy retouch, Batman! Here's a rough idea of how I'd do it. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

retouchnb8.jpg

Max / Others... might I suggest a retouch to the eye(s) as well?

clean up the veins...

liking the retouches [thumbs up]

Fair point on the veins. Then again I'm not gonna spend all night retouching a little jpeg.

First I cleaned up all the skin using the healing brush. Then I switched to the paint brush, generally 100% opacity, 2% flow, though I'll drop the opacity to 75% for very delicate areas. I selected a light-toned area of skin to use as my foreground color, and then set the brush to color dodge and cleaned up the shadows on the left-hand side of the forehead and on the chin. This can leave the skin looking somewhat flat, untextured, and unnatural. I tried my best to preserve what texture I could. Overall, this worked fine, but the forehead was still a little flat so I chose a section of cheek near the nose, where there was skin texture due to pores, and created a new texture with it. Then I went back up to the forehead with the skin texture I had just made and the texture stamp. I also wanted to slightly accentuate the cheekbone but not overdo it. So just as if you were applying blush, I chose a nice pink color and lightly painted the cheekbone area with the brush set to overlay. In some places, such as the chin, it was necessary to switch the brush to screen mode with a light flesh color selected, in order to lighten the shadows while smoothing the skin at the same time.

Wow. That looks alot better. I am actually new to the whole world of photography, and i haven't really figured out how to use photoshop yet. It seems as though i have alot of learning to do.

Count me in on having a lot to learn. So far I find foreheads and lips the hardest.

First I cleaned up all the skin using the healing brush. Then I switched to the paint brush, generally 100% opacity, 2% flow, though I'll drop the opacity to 75% for very delicate areas. I selected a light-toned area of skin to use as my foreground color, and then set the brush to color dodge and cleaned up the shadows on the left-hand side of the forehead and on the chin. This can leave the skin looking somewhat flat, untextured, and unnatural. I tried my best to preserve what texture I could. Overall, this worked fine, but the forehead was still a little flat so I chose a section of cheek near the nose, where there was skin texture due to pores, and created a new texture with it. Then I went back up to the forehead with the skin texture I had just made and the texture stamp. I also wanted to slightly accentuate the cheekbone but not overdo it. So just as if you were applying blush, I chose a nice pink color and lightly painted the cheekbone area with the brush set to overlay. In some places, such as the chin, it was necessary to switch the brush to screen mode with a light flesh color selected, in order to lighten the shadows while smoothing the skin at the same time.

Thank you for this! :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back