overcast days

readysetgo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
well this is my first question here ...:)
ok so at the moment its pretty much overcast everyday and i dont want that to stop me taking photos...i really need some help with settings ect.
i own a olympus E-510 which i have had for just under a week...and most my photos are getting deleted because they are too dark.
ive tryed playing around with manual ect and also tryed the nighttie scene mode which only helped a little.
if you have any tips or tricks let me know from casey.

If you use one of your auto modes do you get the same results?...hmm this wasn't what I originally typed.

When you flash your lights does the exposure meter jump around?

Overcast days are great...it's like the sky is a giant softbox.

most my photos are getting deleted because they are too dark
Are you judging the images on the camera's screen? If so, don't do that. Use the histogram. If the image is too dark, then adjust the exposure (use exposure compensation) and shoot again.

If you use one of your auto modes do you get the same results?...hmm this wasn't what I originally typed.

When you flash your lights does the exposure meter jump around?

yes when i use auto..i get a dark picture.
my flash is weird some times its quick other times it flashes for ever...im sure there is a reson for this and i just sounded really stupid... to add to that stupidity which of the display settings is the exsposure ...Im really really sorry i know very little.but im really am trying coz im keen to learn.
from casey

As Big Mike said, don't judge it by the image thumbnail displayed on the screen. Use the histogram to determine your exposure. If it's too low, turn it up. You can do this in Photoshop as well.

I'm with Big Mike... you can get some awesome shots on overcast days. I'd say the only thing to change is to not include the sky in the shot as it'll likely be blown out.

If you're into post processing you can get some awesome contrast without risk of losing detail in shadows / highlights using Levels or Curves.

Most reactions

Back