Overexposing a specific background. Suggestions?

Restomage

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Usually when it comes to overexposing a white background, not much effort is involved, usually it just requires 2 stops or more of overexposure of a light source pointed at the background and it's a done deal. However I have a situation that I'm not 100% sure what to with...

I'm shooting a model for a cover of a magazine and basically it will be a picture of her laying down and the shot will be of her stomach and I'd like to have the background overexposed however I'm not sure how to do this since she will be laying down. I need a way to overexpose what she's lying on while still properly exposing her skin. Any suggestions? Thanks.

You can't.

Any overexposure of what she is laying will spill onto her. Particularly if it's white. Any other color background will add a cast to her skin.

You could do two shots - one with her exposed correctly and one it the background exposed correctly and then merge the two in photoshop. It would have to be two very quick shots (so at to lessen the chances that movement blur the edges of the two images) and would require some serious editing and use of layermasks but it could be done

Why not select the background in Photoshop and bring the brightness up until it is white/over-exposed?

skieur

Why not select the background in Photoshop and bring the brightness up until it is white/over-exposed?

skieur

That was going to be my option if I couldn't find a successful of way of doing it straight from the camera. I'll have to shoot her on some sort of white background and select it all in photoshop then adjust the exposure.

I think you should scrap the idea of a 2 stop overexposed background...if she's lying down there should be some shadows or it's going to look unnatural....Shoot her standing and blow out the whites....last resort....shoot her lying down and silo out the background in photoshop.

Why laying down? I agree.. a whole lot easier if she were standing up instead.

Trying to brainstorm...

balance her on a 2x4 across a couple saw horses?
find a VERY Large Lightbox to lay on?

nah.. nix that... and have her stand up

Most reactions

Back