Overexposure

Nix725

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am having an issue with some photos I took over the weekend. Only a section of the photo is over exposed due to the flash on some leaves. Is there any way to correct this? I messed around in photoshop, but to no avail.

I have AIM and MSN if anyone wishes to lend me aid, or just post here of course ;)

Here is an example
031509_27.jpg

was flash necessary with that shot? maybe a slower shutter with no flash. I think its quite a nice shot, and she looks like she is making a nice pose

Yes it was sunset. needed the flash; I am just not liking the white on the leave on the right hand side.

I don't think the leaves are overexposed, they look like the type of leaf that's whiter on the underside than the top side.

They're not blown out but they're definitely overexposed in relation to the rest of the image.

This is one of those things that is way easier to fix in camera than post because not only do you have the bright leaves, you have the harsh shadows to deal with. burning maybe but ... ugh, yeah, out of my league. Good luck.

Try using the Burn tool to darken them or the Sponge tool to add saturation. The best way would be to duplicate the image then go to the half circle looking thing at the bottom of the Layer Window, click Selective Color. Select the yellow range and adjust to suit. You will have to go back 'erase' away the background and branches on the selective color layer make sure to use the Brush tool and the opposite color of the box in the selective color layer. This will take time but it is worth it.

The on camera flash is a little harsh. If you decrease the flash exposure by a stop or so, that should help reduce the overexposure in the leaves. Also, if you can't get the flash off camera, bounce it. You can get cheap reflectors in two-dollar shops (in the auto section, those cheap windscreen reflectors) and just get an assistant to hold it. If you are near trees, peg them to a branch and bounce your flash off them.

Most reactions

Back