" OverFlow "

jaharris1001

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hello gang,, it's been a LONG time since I've posted on this site so I stopped in to see what's happening and saw some nice work,, image taken after a cold front rolled through at Flagler Beach Florida

13bw
by jaharris1701, on Flickr
Canon EOS 5D Mark II
EF17-40mm f/4L
ƒ/20.0
21.0 mm
1/6
ISO 50​

It seems a bit rude to say unwelcoming things on your first visit back in a while but this as gone unremarked upon for ~3 hours and so I will say this.

Besides the minor technical issues of the horizon cutting the image in half and what looks like a slight counter-clockwise rotation, the only real point of interest, where a eye can light, is cut in half by the lower margin.
This also looks like a standard kinf of b&w that has been over-processed to the point where the post-processing becomes the first thing one notes about the image.

Sorry.

Thanks Lew for commenting,, actually there wasnt alot of PP done on this image other then a bw conversion and some minor tweaking, the horizon appears straight to me, the left side of the image slopes and the right side has some wave action thats off camber but to me if you line it up its pretty darn straight, yeah the horizon is in the middle but that doesnt bother me, I didnt want to take any off the top or bottom just to put the horizon out of center,, again I appreciate you commenting, I've been posting on forums for many years and certainly dont take offense if someone has legitimate comments, I always appreciate honest critiques ;)

I like this shot. I find it interesting. The general rule is not to bisect your image with the horizon. As one of my photo profs once stated ... when all else fail, follow the rules. This works for me because the blurry wave action somewhat reflects the clouds. By bisecting the image in half you have given equal weight to equally interesting elements. The horizon looks slightly tilted because the breaking waves create what appears to be the horizon ... but that white line of cresting waves is a false horizon. My feedback would be that many portions of the image appear a tad muddy, (at least on my monitor).

If this were my image, I'd selectively lighten/increase the contrast in those 'muddy' portions.

Gary

I like this, but I have to agree w the horizon bisecting the image. And while the detail and swirl is interesting, it seems a little "artificial", which might be distracting me ... However the clouds are exquisite :)

Most reactions

Back