Overlooked/Underrated Nikon Lenses

JTPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For me, the 24-85 vr is overlooked/underrated for its ability to take super sharp and contrasty images. I have had this lens for a while and I love it. I just noticed where it got a pretty high rating on dxomark. If you don't need 2.8 or like me don't shoot in this focal range very often, this is the mid-range lens to have. What are some others?

Shot this one is handheld, ISO 1000, 1/30th second, f8 with the above mentioned lens.

DSC_7884 sm.JPG

In my opinion the most underrated and often dissed lens is the DX AF-S 18-55 3.5-5.6 (any version). This lens gets such a bad rap when actually it's been tested over and over to be one of the very best entry level lenses available.

I've got several AF and AF-D lenses, and only one is a real dog.... the 28/2.8. My 20/2.8, 28-200/3.5-5.6, 50/1.8, 105/2.8 micro and 17-35/2.8 are all champs.

Last edited:
I absolutely loved the sharpness from my 105mm 2.8D lens... Definitely sad I sold it.

In my opinion the most underrated and often dissed lens is the DX AF-S 18-55 3.5-5.6 (any version). This lens gets such a bad rap when actually it's been tested over and over to be one of the very best entry level lenses available.
If we were to count up the number of times each lens was unfairly disparaged, then this would be the winner of that contest.

Hmmmm....quite a few are overlooked and underrated. Here are a few that are overlooked or underrated. 50mm f/1.8 AF, the pre-D model. Have a pair of them that I got at great deals. The 35-70mm f/3.3~4.5 AF-D. The very compact 200mm f/4 Ai or Ai-S. The simply wonderful 105mm f/2.5 Ai-S. The 35mm f/2 AF-D.

I agree with this. I owned this lens until I moved up to the 24-70. One of my favorite photos as well as other people favorite photos that I have taken was with this lens. I blew the photo up to atleast 30x18 or so and it looks awesome. Don't believe people that bash it! You can DXOmark stuff all day but it matters more that you like what the lens produces. Other than that I love the Nikon 50mm 1.8. A lot of people go to the 1.4 but I still love the 1.8 and love the sharpness.

On the over rated side I think the "Holy Trinity" is becoming a little bit inflated with the third party market stepping up it's game. Don't get me wrong, the "Holy Trinity" rocks but you can find some amazing prices on the Tamron, Sigma, etc. equivalents and they can perform quite nicely as well.

A couple of days ago, I experienced quite a shock as I decided to do a amateurish test on my Nikon zoom lens just on sharpness using a D200 ISO 400 with lights. These were...
28-85 f3.5 AiS,
50-135 f3.5 AiS,
70-210 E f4.0,
18-70 AF 3.5-5.5
80-200 AF 2.8

The test included images at both ends of f stop and f11 and I was certain that the 80-200 would win hands down, not the case. The 50-135 outperformed at all three settings and what was more surprising, the 70-210 was very close to the 80-200. The 50-135 was my first zoom and was purchased after seeing John Shaw had kind words for it, but it was set aside once I got the 80-200.

I'm waiting on my 80-200 2.8 AF-S to come it. Can't wait to use it.

I have the 80-200 2.8D two touch zoom. It is a super sharp lens. A little slow on the autofocus but I don't care about that. When you get to learn a lens and use it for a while that is manageable.

I've come to appreciate (rediscover) manual focus lenses of late. I have a Nikkor 24MM f2.8 and 50-135 f3.5 both Ais and they produce some wonderful results. I've yet to master the AF glass but the MF glass is familiar,easy and comforting for me to use digital or film.

Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 AI-S Micro
I don't have the lens - or any macro - but I've heard the relatively short focal length of 55mm can make some close shooting difficult because of the light can be blocked by the camera, shooter, etc. Has this ever been a problem?

This lens
Nikon 28-80mm AF-D

I got one with my old Nikon n90 back in the 90's. I've shot it a few times with my D7000 and it rocks. 28mm just isn't wide enough for me but when and if I ever go FX I'm sure it will get plenty of use.

The 18-105mm vr kit lens. It gets generally good reviews but always i see threads about wanting better performance than it gives. I understand wanting a faster aperture lens but within its focal length and taking into account its not fast aperture, this lens gives excellent image quality

with tubes

Sitting in the morning sun.. by jaomul, on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back