Overpowering Sun with ND Filters & Bokeh

mgvishal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone,
Iam new to this forum.
I have started strobe photography recently & iam using it just as fill light keeping sun as my main light source.
I want some Help relating to Overpowering the Sun to get Nice Blue Sky & Bright Faces.
I have some steps about the concept & need clarification regarding them.
1. Using Sunny 16 rule use f16 and ISO 100 and 1/250 shutter speed which is the sync speed on my camera.
2. Use Monolight or whatever light you have to light the subject or model meter it to f16 by adjusting the power.
3. Step 1 & 2 will give me a perfect picture but background will be in focus.
So to shoot at f2.8 for example. I need a 5 stop ND filter to get the same result as f16.
My query is I'm i done here or is there more steps to equation.
I raise my flash power by 5 stops to f90. Sure I know i need a powerful strobe for that.
I own a One Elinchrom Style Rx 1200 & One Elinchrom Style Rx 600.
So I have that much juice to do this stuff.
But I'am unclear is rasing the flash power nessecary. Will the exposure be accurate.
How much power from flash does ND filter take away.

5 stops of ND filter will take 5 stops of light away from the flash.

What camera make and model?

Nikon d7100 with 35 mm 1.8, 50 mm 1.8 & 24-70 2.8
so if 5 stops of light is taken away you need to add 5 more stops from your flash right ?

Nikon d7100 with 35 mm 1.8, 50 mm 1.8 & 24-70 2.8 so if 5 stops of light is taken away you need to add 5 more stops from your flash right ?
It's gonna be one dark view finder.

you lose some to gain some. who cares what pain it takes to shoot. everyone just cares about results you get out of it

you lose some to gain some. who cares what pain it takes to shoot. everyone just cares about results you get out of it

You might be better off getting some kind of radio trigger set up that you can delay the flash timing of it firing so you don't lose so much flash power.

You might be better off getting some kind of radio trigger set up that you can delay the flash timing of it firing so you don't lose so much flash power.

what will delay in flash timing help here ? can you ellaborate your idea ?

what will delay in flash timing help here ? can you ellaborate your idea ?

Pocket wizard tt1 or tt5. I bought a YN set up that I'm waiting for. Google it- there's plenty of ways and hscks.

Once you get the flash to equal the sun, adding an ND to the lens will cut both light sources equally.

If the shot is properly exposed at f/16, a 5-stop ND will get you to f/2.8.

this is where a fast shutter and Auto-FP come in handy....

this is where a fast shutter and Auto-FP come in handy....
already have a powerful studio strobe, waiting for my godox battery pack to arrive, actually i have seen both techniques, i leaning towards this technique more, don't know why but yes iam

Once you get the flash to equal the sun, adding an ND to the lens will cut both light sources equally.

If the shot is properly exposed at f/16, a 5-stop ND will get you to f/2.8.
background will be underexposed at f16
and subject correcly lit.
so now add 5 stops of nd
and dial now aperture to f 2.8 and i will get the same shot ???

Most reactions

Back