overwhelmed newbie here!!

fiestyashley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is my first post... here goes nothing!

So, I love taking pictures. Of anything and everything. I don't have many pictures of me when I was little and I hate that. So I feel that I have to capture every moment I can, even if it's just a picture from my cell phone. My son just turned a year old and I have taken pictures of every new thing he's done and beyond. I don't want to forget anything. Last mothers day someone said, "Ashley, I just love all of the pictures you put on Facebook. You should become a photographer." And for some reason that stuck with me.

In the early fall a friend loaned me his cannon rebel to borrow to take some shots. I started out with a shoot of a couple at a park, early morning, sunny. when I uploaded them to edit and review, that's when I first realized, the sun isn't always my friend. It was either way too bright or there were awful shadows. So I started shooting in different places and settings and I don't know that I've self taught myself anything because here we are 5 months later and I'm self conscience of my work. Others say they love it and whatever..but that's after I've done heavy editing on most of them.

I want to learn to take pictures that don't need editing. I want to be legit. So I stopped using that crappy picnic and a friend gave me Photoshop cs3? I think its called. OMG that's so confusing, but I'm learning. And for Christmas I got a Nikon d3100. I plan on getting a bag and tripod in the next couple of weeks. I ordered a cheap backdrop set from Amazon. Well by cheap I mean $135. Came with black and white muslin, 3 umbrella lights and backdrop stand with carrying case. I figured that be a good starter kit.

And that's pretty much all I have.

I tried to do some indoor stuff in my house, before I bought the lights and backdrop set. I used a sheet as a backdrop. Ugh, they looked horrible. I assume because of the lighting.

I'm constantly going online trying to learn to make shots look betteR. I see words like aperture, white balance, ISO, noise, ect. And I have no idea what it means.

So, I bought the book "Understanding exposure" and "Nikon d3100" for dummies. It's a lot of information, I know I wont understand it over night. But I feel so overwhelmed with information that sometimes I want to give up. But then I instantly feel guilty for thinking that. I'm not a quitter!!

With that being said, help!! What can I do or how can I better understand these terms and how they correlate? I work at a hospital full time, am in college full time along with a family of my own. I've got a lot going on, but I want to learn it because I want to take better shots to capture those moments and maybe make this more than just a hobby someday.

I'm a very visual learner so its hard for me to try to read something and understand it. Any suggestions, tips, hints, definitions, or cheat sheets?
Anything????

Sincerely,
Dazed and confused

Can you post some pics for C&C? Posting pics and letting others critique them would be a start.

Bear in mind, you are about the 20th, maybe 30th, person to post this exact same post in the last 30 days. Welcome to the forum.

You will hear the following comments, I'm quite certain, over and over in response to your post:

1. Read the manual several times;
2. You need to learn how to use the camera before worrying about off camera flash (OCF);
3. Read the manual;
4. Bryan Peterson;
5. Read the manual;
6. Strobist.com;
7. Do a "search" for what you are looking for. Chances are it's been asked and answered 100's of times already;
8. Shoot shoot shoot...
9. Post photos;
10. Number your photos;
11. Don't post more than 2 or 3 photos;
12. Tell us what you like and dislike about the photos;
13. Take an art class;
14. Read the manual;
15. Number your photos;
16. Have THICK skin (this is a biggie);
17. Bryan Peterson;
18. Be humble;
19. Flat lighting is caused by on camera flash. Bounce your flash off a wall or off the ceiling;
20. Youtube and Google are great places to learn without having to look here.

Good luck. :thumbup:

Bear in mind, you are about the 20th, maybe 30th, person to post this exact same post in the last 30 days. Welcome to the forum.

You will hear the following comments, I'm quite certain, over and over in response to your post:

1. Read the manual several times;
2. You need to learn how to use the camera before worrying about off camera flash (OCF);
3. Read the manual;
4. Bryan Peterson;
5. Read the manual;
6. Strobist.com;
7. Do a "search" for what you are looking for. Chances are it's been asked and answered 100's of times already;
8. Shoot shoot shoot...
9. Post photos;
10. Number your photos;
11. Don't post more than 2 or 3 photos;
12. Tell us what you like and dislike about the photos;
13. Take an art class;
14. Read the manual;
15. Number your photos;
16. Have THICK skin (this is a biggie);
17. Bryan Peterson;
18. Be humble;
19. Flat lighting is caused by on camera flash. Bounce your flash off a wall or off the ceiling;
20. Youtube and Google are great places to learn without having to look here.

Good luck. :thumbup:

21. Stop shooting wide open
22. The exposure triangle
23. DOF is too shallow
24. Stop shooting wide open
25. Read the manual
26. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...allery/267492-info-those-new-photography.html

Not sure how to post pictures? I may have to do it from a PC. I'm just using the photoforum app from my smartphone and I can't find the option to upload.

Not sure how to post pictures? I may have to do it from a PC. I'm just using the photoforum app from my smartphone and I can't find the option to upload.

LOL x 1,000,000,000,000,000,000

Haha thanks ph0enix. That's the info I needed..I will start on the manual tonight and post some pictures.

28. Should I get a UV filter?
29. Need HELP! First wedding! (but it's just for a friend... but I'm charging them... ok it's not really a friend)

Take charge of your photo education. It's up to you. There's a lot to learn, but if you break it down into small,manageable lessons, you ought to progress. Please, don't take this the wrong way, but people who know nothing about photography are easily impressed with just clear, sharp, decently-exposed shots. Shots with horrific compositional flaws, crooked horizons, whatever. If the subjects in the photos are their own relatives or friends, ALL that counts is the "emotion" you capture. So, please, do not feel a need to rush out and "become a photographer" because with the way you are describing yourself and your journey, the chances are very high that you are simply not ready yet. If you are "overwhelmed" and a "newbie", as your post says, it's probably time to learn more, from the best-qualified, highest-quality sources you can find. Best of luck on the journey!

Most reactions

Back